On Saturday night I was checking Facebook before I went to bed and I saw a message from Tyler asking us to pray for his sister. I sent him a message and soon got a reply from Lori that Andrea had been at the Sugarland concert that night at the IN State Fair. If you have not hear about the tragic event that happened that night, the stage was blown over that night and collapsed hurting many and killing 5 people. (Here is a video that I saw on Twitter. It is horrible!!!! It makes me sick to my stomach and brings tears to my eyes.)
Over the past few days, through Facebook, some news articles, and some messages I have heard more of Andrea's story. I want to share it with you. I ask that as you read it you will pray for Andrea and her family during this difficult time.
From what I can tell Andrea was with a group of friends who were very excited to go see Sugarland in concert. When I looked at her FB page, her last status said something like "Sugarland! Sugarland! Sugarland!" She also posted a few mobile pics of her and her friends at the concert. I believe they were in the 1st or 2nd row, right by the stage.
From what I have heard from another friend (who does not know Andrea. She was actually my college roommate who was also at the concert but was not injured at all.) The opening act came out and did her set. There was a 10-15min break. A man came out and said that they thought that a storm was coming and Sugarland wasn't going to come out yet, but the show would go on. He said they were going to see if the storm was going to pass. I guess some people left (like my friend Jess) but a number of people stayed.
From what I have heard not too long after that there was a huge gust of wind that threw a lot of dust in the air and a tarp that was the top of the stage blew up into the air. A number of people began running but the whole stage and all the rigging collapsed.
The story that I read said that Andrea's friends all ran and were separated. Right afterwards they all began to find each other but Andrea was missing and could not be found anywhere. (They later went to the hospital where they were told many people had been taken to find that she had been taken there but did not know how, who found her, or what happened at the scene. I believe that 2 of her friends were also injured but were pretty minor injuries.) It actually wasn't until Monday until they learned what had happened.
Apparently, a steel beam fell on her and crushed her skull. Her shoulder bone was broken and several vertebrae were cracked.
Tyler wrote this on Facebook on Monday.
Today, we had the privilege of meeting the couple responsible for saving Andrea's life. I am going to try and tell the same story they told me, but I can promise you that their humility will have a tough time finding its way into my story. I am so proud to be able to brag on them a bit for what they've done for my sister. Their names are Kerwin and Angela. Kerwin is an EMT and Angela is a resident surgeon at Methodist here in Indy. They were sitting near the top of the grandstands for the Sugarland show on Saturday. After the collapse, they rushed from their seats and into the crowd below. We all have the choice of responding reluctantly or immediately to all things. Thank God for their immediate response. As they ran through the panicked crowd, they were triaging potential patients along the way looking for the most seriously injured who needed immediate attention for their survival. And their eyes were set on Andrea. Once they'd arrived at her side, they stabilized her and carried her to a row of chairs that had been set up as makeshift stretchers. They then fought through the crowd carrying her to an ambulance that was about to depart with another patient. Realizing the severity of her injuries, Kerwin was running to catch the ambulance knowing every second counts. He and Angela banged on the door pleading to let them in and allow Andrea in. The gracious EMTs in that ambulance helped load all 3 of them in and they were on the way to Methodist. They arrived at approximately 9:30. Upon arriving at the hospital, Andrea was among the first to be selected for surgery. They removed a bone flap in her head to allow for her brain to swell without the constraints of her skull confining it, which in turn reduces the ICP number. Her ICP was at 90 when she arrived, creating immense pressure and potential damage to her brain. To go from the front row at the concert injured and trapped under an enormous pile of metal to the Methodist ER in a matter of 41 minutes is the work of a loving God who blessed some very special people for whom we'll be forever grateful. Thank you Kerwin and Angela. We all sat in utter amazement as you shared your story tonight with us. We're never more like Jesus than when we're rescuing others.
Another very special person stepped back into our lives tonight as well. His name is Scott Keegan, a fellow PHHS classmate of Andrea's. Scott now works for the Indiana State Police. Our family has been concerned about Andrea's belongings (purse, debit card, license, etc.) wondering if it would ever show up again. Through a unique set of circumstances, Scott was able to recover her belongings and delivered them to us at the hospital today. As Mike opened her purse to make sure everything was where we'd hoped, we collectively sighed a gasp of relief to find all was accounted for. Thank you Scott for making the effort to find her things and personally return them to us today.
As of now Andrea is still in a medically induced a coma. I believe they said they were going to keep her in a coma for 5days, but they did try taking her off some meds to test her body functions out. Tyler says that her swelling is going down and her color is better. It is of course going to be a long road but they are celebrating every small victory.
These are the things that they have asked us to pray for:
1) Andrea's ICP to stay below 20 and move below 15,
(ICP - intracranial pressure)
2) Her most simple body functions to return to a more normal state,
3) The continued care being provided by the doctors to be intuitive and to fulfill the purpose of establishing a complete, full and healthy recovery in time.
I ask that you do pray for those things. I believe strongly in the power of prayer! I ask that you also pray for the Voss/Vellinga family. I know that they are hurting.
I want to do something to support them during this time. Josh and I have talked about it and I would love to send them some type of care package. I was thinking maybe gift cards to go out to eat, gas cards (their home town is about 45mins away from the hospital.), maybe things for Lydia (Andrea's 4yr old daughter), etc. If you would like to donate anything or have any great ideas, please leave a comment or email me. (stephanievanalmen@hotmail.com)
They are also taking donations at Andrea's church. Here is the link.
Also, Andrea's home town is putting up hot pink ribbons to show their support. I know that North Carolina is a long way from Indiana but I put out my ribbon today to show my support. Every time I see it I say a prayer for her and her family.
I hope that you will also pray for them!
Here are a few pictures (all stolen from Facebook) to show you who you are praying for:
Andrea (known as "Dru" or "Andy" to her friends and family.)
Andrea and her husband, Mike
Andrea and her daughter Lydia
Andrea and her brother (my friend) Tyler
Finally, my hot pink ribbon.
Lori, Tyler, Noah - we love you!
Andrea - we are praying and believe that God is going to work a miracle in your life!
“For with God nothing will be impossible.”
Luke 1:37
“For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,” says the Lord.
Jeremiah 30:17
“Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
Hebrews 4:16




5 comments:
Hi Stephanie,
I just sat down to type out my update for everyone tonight and was just overcome with emotion after reading what you've shared through your blog. For the first time in my life, I don't even know what to say. Thank you! You have left one of the most meaningful impressions on me though this whole experience. Thank you, God, for Josh and Stephanie's hearts and passion for You. We love you guys!
Stephanie, thank you for sharing the story of your friend! What an amazing testament to human caring and resiliency!
You need to find a way (twitter/facebook/blog) to get Andrea's story to Jennifer Nettles. She would bend over backwards to help!
Adding my prayers to everyone else's for a full and complete recovery!
Definitely will be praying!!
Definitely be praying for her. It's amazing to see on the news stations here in Indy the heroes and the victims...remembering that we live in a world that may be full of tragedy, but is also full of people who are willing to run toward the accident to do what they can, and not run away from it. My prayers are with Andrea and her family, and I send up a praise to God for the people who saved her life.
This gave me goosebumps and I will be praying!!
Post a Comment