Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkey Time

Thanksgiving - I am trying really hard this year to make this not be a forgotten holiday.
We are headed to my parents in a few short hours to start our Thanksgiving celebration.
The turkey is defrosting in my fridge.  (Hopefully it won't be like Christmas last year! Please God, I really don't want to have Chinese food again for a holiday meal!)

I am making a Chocolate Chip Cookie pie and some yummy Pecan Squares. 
(Look for the recipes at the bottom of this post.)

I have a few activities planned to keep us entertained between the parade and football watching.
(I think this bingo game and "Pin The Feather On The Turkey" are going to be lots of fun.)

I also have planned a great new tradition that we are going to start.
(I will have to tell you about it/show you pics another time.)

I'm thankful that I get to celebrate with my family. 
I am so thankful that Josh has 4 days off!
I am thankful that my mom is doing most of the cooking!

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!


Pecan Squares
(Recipe from Southern Living)

Ingredients


2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
2/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons whipping cream
3 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Preparation

Sift together 2 cups flour and 2/3 cup powdered sugar. Cut in 3/4 cup softened butter using a pastry blender or fork just until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pat mixture on bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.


Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool.


Bring brown sugar, honey, 2/3 cup butter, and whipping cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in pecans, and pour hot filling into prepared crust.


Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
(Recipe from... I don't even remember.  I have made it for years now.  Josh loves it.)

Ingredients

1 pie shell (I have used both a graham cracker crust and also a pastry pie shell.  Both work, but we tend to like the graham cracker better.)
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
chocolate chips
(I, of course, add nuts to our too, but that is optional.)

Preparation

Melt butter
Use mixer to foam eggs
Add the rest of the ingredients to mix (in order above)
Place mixture in pie shell

Bake at 325 for 60 mins

(No picture... Just imagine a big cookie in a pie crust. So yummy!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been trying to find a good cookie pie recipe...thanks! I'll have to give this one a shot soon!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of fun to be had by you all!! Yumm! Choc. chip pie, I am so making that!!