Sometimes I feel really guilty that Josh is working so hard while I am home. Every once in awhile I ask him if he wants me to go out and get a job. While the extra money would help, he knows that I really love being at home with Alyse (and plus finding childcare would kinda make it difficult.)
Awhile back Josh and I really started to focus on our spending, paying off things, and preparing for our future and some "wants" (more children, new house, vacations, new car, etc...)
The first thing that we did was go back to living on what we like to call the COP way of life. (Cash Only Plan). We also cut back on a number of different things, and we started to think of some creative ways to stop spending and start saving.
We have been doing really well, but one night I brought an idea to Josh.
You see, hundreds of miles away in Michigan, there is a car that is sitting in Josh's mom's garage. It is a nice car. A car that Josh loves!!! He bought it while we were in high school. It is a 1968 Triumph GT-6 which is a vintage British race car.

I wasn't sure about my idea because Josh always gives so much and I didn't want to ask for more, but I brought up the idea of maybe selling his car. I told him that I didn't want him to say anything, I just wanted him to think about it, pray about, and then let me know in a few days what he decided.
After some time he told me that he agreed it was a good idea. It has been sitting in storage for 5 yrs and hasn't been driven once. He decided that he would put it up for sale and we would see what happened.
Well, yesterday Josh put a check for his car in the bank. The new owner is having it shipped to Iowa in a few weeks.
That does make me kinda sad to say, but it makes me very happy to know that on Friday one of our big debts from our college days will be completely paid off!!!! (Praise God!)
So, I wanted to take a minute and again thank Josh for his sacrifice. Thank you so much for loving Alyse and I so much that you would give anything to take care of us. We both love and appreciate all that you are and all that you do very, very much!
(And I promise that I won't go spend that money you just deposited in the bank on a new spring/summer wardrobe!! Not even one pair of shoes. Or one dress. Or..... No shopping! I promise!)

6 comments:
i am so glad you shared your story!! i am pretty sure we have talked before about this, that jamil sold his vintage car too? what a great idea to post about what you have done and to honor josh's sacrifice. i might steal your idea and make a post of our own!!! of course i will credit you and give you a shout out! hope you are having a wonderful {healthy} week!!!
Congrats! We've also been trying to save more money and cut our spending...I'm really getting into couponing. Unfortunately, we don't have an extra car sitting around that we can sell, but we're making the most of what we have! :) So glad you got college all paid for!
That is a great sacrifice and honestly almost all of the time sacrificing is what our men do well! They love to provide for their families and moms too whether they work in and out of the home....Blessings to both of you for getting there...we are working on that too!!!
So glad y'all were able to come into some extra cash!
What a sweetie of a husband to sacrifice like that!
It's also SUCH a relief to get debt paid off. In fact, it sounds like you're living a lot like what's in Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover.
It's an awesome read for anyone that wants to get out of debt (which is, like, everyone!) but it's a lot of common sense, old-fashioned goodness.
It's all about discipline with spending, and it sounds like you're doing a great job already(though I don't think it hurts to get a new pair of shoes or outfit if you got it for an amazing deal!)
Such a cute car! But what a good husband. We recently went through all our stuff and sold what we didn't need or want. It was a good feeling to get rid of so much unnecessary clutter. There are some things that I would love to get rid of however that my husband won't ever part with, but that's okay. :)
Post a Comment