Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Just Incase Plan

"Do you get nervous/worry about Josh since he is a cop?"

I get that question a lot.
I can honestly say - No, not really.

I mean, yes, I know his job is dangerous.
Yes, I know that he faces high risk situations everyday.
Just putting on his uniform and getting in a police car could put his life on the line.

However, I really don't worry about him.

1st of all - I trust him. I know he is smart and will make wise choices.

2nd - I know that he is a good cop. He has had a high level of training and has had a lot of experiences and learning opportunities.

3rd - I know that he will do whatever he can to come home to Alyse and I.

4th - I know that he loves his job, and since I love him, I have to support him.

5th - I can't live in fear!!!! I know that there are many wives/girlfriends/husbands/parents who always are expecting the phone to ring or a knock at the door. I have read a few blogs, websites, and even had people tell me that every time their love one walks out the door, they think "This could be the last time I see him." or "What would happen if my children didn't have a father anymore?"..... I can not do that to myself! I also can't do that to him or Alyse!

6th (and most importantly) - I trust in God. I know that he is going to take care of Josh and watch over him while he is at work. I also know that if anything ever did happen, He would take care of me.

Now would I be DEVASTATED if anything ever happened to Josh - OH YES! My heart hurts just thinking about anything ever happening to him, but like I said, I can't focus on that. My job as Josh's wife is to love and encourage him. Not to stress and worry about "what ifs".

One thing that Josh and I have talked about many times is that just like he has to prepare himself that he may some day be in a shooting situation (for example) I also need to prepare for that.

We have already come up with somewhat of a plan - because I am a planner.

If anything does happen to him, I have already told him that I don't really want to hear from a stranger. We even told two of his good friends, Sean and Matt, that if something does happen, I would prefer to hear from one of them. (Now, I don't know if that is actually possible, but they both said that they would do their best to make sure that they at least would be there for me.)

I also have a friends and family list. This is the list of people who would need to be notified. It isn't a very long list, but it is of people that I know would need to know so they could pray and be there to support me.

I already have childcare lined up.

We also have somewhat of a plan of what would happen if I needed to plan a funeral, where important papers are, insurance things that I need to be aware of, etc.

You may be thinking, why in the world is she PLANNING for this?!
Honestly, I know that I will be doing everything I can just to hold it together. So, I know the decisions would most likely overwhelm me.

Obviously, I hope and pray that I will never need to put this plan into action! But I think it is for the best that we are prepared.

The other way that I can best prepare myself is to hold Josh closer when he is home, making sure that I tell him I love him multiple times a day, always kissing him goodbye, and praying for him each and every day.

***Side Note***
This post totally turned on me.
I started to tell y'all a police story, and totally derailed!
But hopefully this was helpful to someone else.
Even if your husband doesn't put a uniform on everyday, I still think it is a good idea to do everything in that last paragraph.

I will save the story for another day and another post.


7 comments:

lov said...

this is awesome!
i love this post!!
i'm also a planner....and i totally understand how this is soooo important....

looking forward to that story!

Becca said...

I am sure that being a wife of a police officer or someone in the military is quite difficult. It seems as if you try your best to keep positive and that is wonderful. *Hugs*

Kristin said...

Ditto to all of that ;) I agreed with everything.

Dori said...

Ya know, I have a plan for just about everything as well. A very dear friend of mine just happens to be one of the dispatchers. She has informed her coworkers that if my husband is involved in anything to let her know. I'll have a babysitter at my door before I can even pick up the phone! I like having her on that side of things!

But, yeah, living in fear would be crippling. Can't do it. Like you, I trust his training, his brain and his very strong desire to come home every day.

Very well said!

Ang said...

Good idea. You can never be too prepared. Although, nothing will probably happen but its always nice to have plans.

Sandra said...

Your husband is very lucky to have you as his wife. I mean that, and I'm talking from experience - my husband completely supports my career as a police officer. Your point #4 nails this perfectly.

It is because we are loved and have families of our own that we, as police officers, do the job we do.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100 percent. Sure I worry, but I cannot let fear paralyze me. Also, I don't have a complete plan but we have talked about it and I have started formulating a plan. I'm going to, eventually, pack an emergency bag, for example.