Monday, April 2, 2012

Eggcelent time

The excitement of dyeing Easter eggs was very high this year.
Alyse has been asking for weeks when we could color her eggs. 

I was actually prepared this year and bought the eggs and hard boiled them early so they would be ready.  Actually, I tried a new method with half of our eggs.  I read online that you could "bake" eggs.  I decided to do a dozen in the oven and a dozen on the stove top.
To bake them I put them directly on the rack and then put a cookie sheet underneath just in case.  Then you turn on the oven (you have to let it warm up with the eggs inside) to 325 and leave for 30mins.  Then you put the eggs right from the oven into a bowl of ice water to cool them off/stop the cooking.  It worked ok... It was just as easy and maybe a little faster to do the normal way of bring to a boil on the stove top.

Once it was time to dye the eggs Breeley was very excited.  This was really her first time of actually doing it herself  (not just watching) and she LOVED it.


Can you see the big blue splash?  She got a little crazy

Alyse was more serious about her eggs.

They aren't the prettiest eggs out there, and there may be a few cracks, but they had a ton of fun.

Oh, and by the way....
In my egg research I also learned that dishwasher detergent takes the dye right off your hands.


Love some family fun and holiday traditions.

No comments: