Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pretty Valentines

I love me some Valentine's decorations.  I think it is because it gives me an excuse to have things all pretty and pink.

I did make a few new decorations this year. 

The first project was making wax paper hearts. This project was suppose to be for Alyse and I to do together, but it really ended up being just me who did it.

Next I made some glittered jars.

I saw this tutorial on Pinterest.
The whole floor wax and polyurethane scared me a little... so I just cut out a vinyl heart on my Silhouette (on the tutorial it says you can also cut a heart out of shelf liner.)  I stuck it on the inside of a cheap jar that I got at Hobby Lobby.  I then covered the whole inside with modge podge glue.  I sprinkled some glitter in the jar, put the top back on, and then Alyse, Breeley, and I shook up the jars until the inside was covered with glitter.  Then I pulled off the heart leaving a heart shaped window.
I like how all the glitter is in the inside of the jar because it isn't very messy.

Once everything was dry we put the flameless/battery operated votive in the jar.
(DON'T use a regular candle.  I am sure this project is very flammable!)

My girls were in love with those flameless candles.
Alyse decided that she was going to use the jar as a lantern just like Rapunzel.

I also made a tutu heart wreath for each of my girls bedroom doors.
I got some tulle on a roll at Hobby Lobby, some ribbon, and then took a wire hanger and shaped it into a heart.

I cut the tulle into 8 inch strips.
(Each heart took about 200 strips!)

All I did was tie them onto the wire hanger heart.

Once it was done I used the ribbon to hide the top of the hanger that I had formed into a circle to use to hang the heart.

They turned out really pretty.
This is Breeley's tutu heart on her bedroom door.

I like them so much I might leave them up after Valentine's Day....


3 comments:

mrs. fuzz said...

I just got caught up on the last couple of months! Wow. I am always impressed at how good you are at documenting your family life and I just love all the cute things you do. I always get good ideas from you. Glad you had a great Christmas! Happy Valentine's Day!

P.S. Random, but has anyone ever told you or your husband that he looks like Ioan Gruffudd??? He did the Horation Hornblower series? Anyways, I kind of think he does a little.

Kelly said...

I love those wreaths! You are so creative!!!

Unknown said...

Super cute! Love the projects!!