Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bread and Butter

When Josh and I got married, his grandma gave us a bread machine.  I was so excited and saw myself baking bread with our meals and being a great little housewife.

8 years later, that bread machine still sat in the box packaged up.

Finally I decided that I was going to pull it out and search for some yummy bread recipes.
I found this one:

Buttery Rolls
1 cup warm milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
*make sure that your salt and yeast are separated.  The salt can kill the yeast.

If using a bread machine, place ingredients in and select the dough setting.

If you don't have a bread machine, I bet you could do it without.  My machine mixed for about 15 minutes on a low speed.  It then would sit for about 20 mins and turn a little.  It did this for about an hour and a half. So you could probably mix it, put it in a covered bowl and let it set.  Then you could fold it by hand a little.  Let it sit for 20mins... repeat for 1.5hrs.

When cycle is complete, turn dough on a lightly floured surface.
Divide into 24 portions and shape into balls.
Place in a greased 13x9 baking pan.
Cover and let rise in a warm spot for 15mins
Bake at 375 for 13-16mins or until golden brown.

I have made these a few times now and each time they have come out better and better.

However - I found something that makes them taste DELISH!

Cinnamon Honey Butter
2 sticks butter at room temp
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 cup of honey
2 tsp of cinnamon

I used the whisk attachment of my mixer and whipped the butter.  (Make sure you set the butter out on the counter for awhile so it is nice and soft!)  Add the powdered sugar, whip, add the honey, whip, add the cinnamon, whip and whip and whip.

SO yummy.

(I personally think it is a little too honeyish so the next time I probably did more like 3/4 cup but either way it is really good.)

Now, go make yourself some bread and butter.... or at least some butter!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Those sound amazing!! I LOVE my bread machine! We use it a lot in the winter :)