Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sweet Rainbows

Alyse has a friend who has a birthday this week. 
We went to the store the other day to buy him a present.  I gave Alyse 3 choices of gifts that she could chose from.  She picked one, but told me at least 5 times that she wanted to make him cupcakes.  After we bought his present she still would not let it die that we needed to make him cupcakes!
So I finally gave in and told her that we would make him some.
She told me that they had to be the rainbow cupcakes.  

Many of you may have seen rainbow cupcakes before - maybe on other blogs or on Pinterest.  These are not original with me at all, but I thought I would show you how we (I) made them.

Step 1
Cake batter. 
You can make any white cake.  I was in a hurry to get these cupcakes done for delivery so I grabbed a box because if I made it at home that makes it home made, right? 

Step 2
I decided to make 5 colors - so I divided the cake batter evenly into 5 bowls.
Then I added some baking food color gel.

Step 3
Layer your colors into your muffin tins with cupcake liners.
I started with blue as the base and moved backwards.
It only takes a little - about a spoonful.

Step 4
Here they are ready to go into the oven.
(I kinda wish that I would have done my layers more "even".  I kinda just poured the cake mix in there quickly.  To make it more clean, I should have made sure that it was all covered side to side.)

Step 5
Bake your cake according to your box or recipe directions.

While mine was baking I did make home made butter cream icing.

Once they come out of the oven, they will look something like this

As they were cooling I decided that I need to "package" them since they were going to be delivered. 
I grabbed a small shirt gift box and cut 6 Xs.

Then I used my fingers to pull back the card board to make openings for 6 cupcakes.

Ok, back to the cupcake directions.

Step 6
Ice the cupcakes with whatever icing you prefer.
I used an icing bag with a slotted tip to make the icing nice and pretty and then sprinkled on some rainbow sprinkles.

Then I placed 6 cupcakes into the box for the new 6 year old.

And since I used a box with a big snowflake on the top of it, I covered it with rainbow tissue paper to make it more birthdayish.  Plus it matched so well.

So, there you go - rainbow cupcakes!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Those are adorable! I love how you turned the shirt box into a cupcake holder! So creative! :)

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to know how to make these! Thanks!