Elevation along with a number of other area churches have been donating items, volunteering, and loving on our city. We were asked to serve at least 1hr. The goal is for 25,000hrs served. (I am guessing we will break this goal, just like we did last year.)
Here is how our family has served:
First of all, I took the girls and we worked at Bright Blessings.
They have a program called Bless-A-Birthday. Through this program on their birthday homeless children or those living in shelters or homes are given birthday presents and often a little party with cake.
They also have a program called Bless-A-Baby. This program gives baskets with basic needs to mothers who are homeless and have just had newborn babies.
When I heard about this place and also heard that kids were more than welcome to come and help, I knew this was the place that I really wanted to go!
Alyse really wanted to pick out some of the donated toys and wrap them for the children.
But our job was to go to bookshelves of books and choose 3 that were the same reading level. We then gift wrapped them.
This is my friends Angela, Heather, and me. We had no idea our picture was being taken.
* I stole it from Bright Blessing's Facebook page
After we picked out and wrapped books we were asked to make baskets to give to mothers of newborns. We then found out that were going to video us for a Johnson&Johnson's video they were making.
Here is Alyse checking out our basket
Breeley helped too... by hanging out and looking cute
I loved volunteering there and I am planning on going back.
Another day, my friends Angela and Heather (who are both in my eGroup aka small group from church) came over and we made butterflies for Hope Cancer Ministries.
"Hope Cancer Ministries provides spiritual and emotional support along with practical ministry in Jesus' name
to cancer patients, caregivers, and those who are grieving."
They asked us to make butterflies that they give to their patients along with a story about how a butterfly had to struggle in it's cocoon so it could turn into something beautiful.
It also gave a little lesson and verses to share with our children about how God is Yahweh-Raphah: "The Lord Who Heals" God heals body, soul and spirit. It also taught that "The Bible also teaches us that we are to encourage others and help them when they are hurting."
The final thing that we have been working on is collecting items for "Stuff the Truck". At each of Elevation's 4 locations there are trucks that we are filling with items to aid a number of different organizations.Blakeney - non perishable food
Matthews - clothes
Uptown - books
Providence - school supplies
I am trying to get together a bag for each campus.
It is amazing to be a part of this week. I am so glad that I have been able to serve Charlotte and these amazing organizations! It makes me so proud to be a part of Elevation Church and really the CHURCH as a whole because there have been so many people working side by side to spread God's love.
If you live in the Charlotte area, it isn't too late to get involved.
Help spread some love!

No comments:
Post a Comment