Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Made To Crave - Giveaway

My weight - it has been an insecurity and a stress in my life for years. 

Probably half of my life I have spent wishing that I was skinnier and that both the number of my jean size and the numbers on the scale were lower. 

I can't tell you how many times I have been on a diet.  I can't tell you how many times I have cried in a dressing room or in my closet.  I can't tell you how many times my mom and Josh have told me "Stephanie, you are beautiful!" and I haven't believed them and said "Whatever! You have to say that!"

On days that I am suppose to feel beautiful (my wedding day, proms, big events I've dressed up for) I can not say that I ever really enjoyed them because I was so insecure about how I looked.  To this day I look at my wedding pictures and want to cry.  I hate them. 

I have laid in my bed or sat on my couch watching Josh eat M&Ms, Oreos, ice cream and wanted to punch him.  He just doesn't understand! He has always had a skinny/athletic body.  There was one time when I tried to explain it to him and made him put a pillow under his shirt and look at himself in the mirror.  Another time I put weights in a backpack and made him wear it backwards under his shirt to make him feel what it was like to have extra belly weight.  He still eats what he wants.  (As I type this right now he is eating chocolate... and offered me some.  I just stopped and stared at him.)

Now, I have had a few small victories in the past.  I have had times when my diet was great.  I worked out regularly.  I went to the gym and did boot camp.  I started to feel good about myself.  I lost almost 40lbs after I had Alyse.  I was pretty close to my goal weight.  I was healthy.  Then I got pregnant, miscarried, and got pregnant again.  Now I am back to being frustrated with those numbers again. Since having Breeley I have lost 30lb, but I still have another 25-30lb that I REALLY want to lose.

So, I am back to the diet part of the cycle.  I'm actually doing a 30 day detox right now.  (I got some pills from my Dr.  I have also changed my diet - No Diet Coke, no fast food, most of what I'm eating is veggies and lean proteins.)  In a few weeks I am planning on doing a juice fast.  It is very hard for me to give up food.  I want nachos!  I want a cheeseburger.  I want Oreos.... but for now, I can't have them.

I also am working on get back to exercising.  For  me, working out is the big key.  It is also my biggest weakness.  Yes, I do lose by just changing my diet, but my body doesn't really change unless I work out.  And work out hard!  I know what I have to do, I just need to do it.  I don't like it at all.  It is hard for me.  Having 2 children makes it very difficult.  Getting motivated is also difficult.  But I have to do it!

My new support system is Lysa TerKeurst's new book Made To Crave.  I started reading this book last week.  I was crying before I even finished the introduction.  I haven't completely finished the book yet, but I can say that it I would highly recommend it if you are like me and have ever struggled with your weight and all that comes with that battle.

Lysa talks about how being tempted by food is natural and biblical.  She points out that women have been tempted by food since the very beginning (Eve - her temptation? An apple!).  Satan even tried to temp Jesus with food.  But what did Jesus fight with? Scripture!  So that is my new weapon. 

Some of my favorites:

- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body."

- Psalm 73:26
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

- Psalm 107:9
"For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."

- Ecclesiastes 3:11
"He has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the hearts of men, yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

- 1 Corinthians 6:12
"Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial.... I will not be mastered by anything."


Those are my new weapons.  I read them before I go and grab whatever I am craving.  It gives me time to not fall into the trap of eating without thinking and it also reminds me of what I need to do and why.

(There are more verses that I am starting to use at other times too.  I will share them in another post sometime soon.)

Now, I know that this post is long.  I also know that it is pretty personal.  But maybe you can relate.

Well, I would like to give away a copy of Made to Crave to one of you!
It just so happens that I have an extra copy. 
Last weekend I was given a copy at church (Lysa TerKeurst goes to our church and graciously gave away a number of copies.)  Before I was given a copy I had already ordered it on Amazon.  So I thought that I would give the extra copy away.

If you would like a copy, please leave me a comment.
I will randomly select a winner on Friday.

* If you want to tweet about it great! If you want to become a follower great! But all you really have to do is leave a comment.

I can't wait to pass this book onto one of you.
I promise you it is an excellent book.


8 comments:

Ang said...

Thank you for sharing your struggle with us! I too struggle. Abby is turning 3 in March (my youngest) and I have held on to those last 20 lbs for 3 years. I started running/dieting three weeks ago and have lost 5 pounds but I feel like the last 15 I can never get rid of! It is so frustrating and I too have had days where I try on everything in my closet and just sit down and cry because I dont like the way I look/feel in my clothes. I sooo understand you and I appreciate you being honest and it makes me feel like Im not alone in the struggle. My hubby too can eat anything and everything so he is not very helpful and is always offering treats and snacks : ). He is so thin and tall and doesnt gain any weight.

The book sounds amazing and I would love to enter to win a copy. I have been reading my Bible everyday and that has helped alot but to have key scriptures about food/health would be perfect!

Again, thanks for sharing something more personal. I really look up to people like you who share more than all the happy things in life!

Rachel said...

I have heard such great things about this book. I cant wait to read it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story. The blog posts and community around this book have been inspiring and encouraging! Can't wait to read the book.

Becky said...

I can relate to all of your struggles. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to read the book!

Kim said...

Ugh, dieting....always a struggle for me too. :( It doesn't help that we now make your monkey bread muffin recipe about once a week now...as a matter of fact, my 13 year old son made them all by himself tonight! :) Luckily the boys eat most of them, but of course I have to taste too! :) Back on the treadmill tomorrow!
Kim

Sheyna said...

I would love to read this book! I've been watching the Made to Crave webcasts and been blown away. I too struggle with weight and self-esteem issues, having kids has changed everything! Thanks Stephanie for sharing so honestly!

Unknown said...

Hey Stephanie, swung by your blog today and was excited to see this! I've been hearing all about Lysa's book and podcasts on twitter. I've also stuggled with insecurity around my weight since I can remember.. And its especially hard since ive been trying to have a baby for over a year. Food always "seems" to make me feel better each month.. But it only makes me feel worse! Ugh. Would love to get my hands on this book! :) hope all is well at elevation and with your adorable family.
-Emily

Kelly said...

Stephanie, thank you for sharing your struggle. I understand to an extent what you're going through. I was very overweight as a pre-teen and teenager and really really struggled with insecurity. It was so hard! Then I found out that I'm allergic to gluten and milk. Once I cut those out of my diet, I dropped weight so fast. The change was a huge boost for my self confidence - as you can imagine. I will definitely pray for you as you seek to overcome this obstacle.

That book sounds amazing! I love how she points out using God's Word as your weapon! Awesome!