Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy Snow Day

"Winter Storm 2011" started very early morning on Monday morning.  We had heard it was coming.  In fact on Sunday night there was not 1 little flake, but all the area schools had already cancelled.  (BTW: That never happened when I was teaching!) We went to the grocery story earlier in the weekend so we were all set on the milk and the bread.  (Still not sure why we have to have bread....)  However, we should have bought some formula... but I didn't think about that.  When I went to make Breeley's cereal in the morning I discovered that we didn't even have enough to make it through the day.  So Josh went out and bought some. 

Alyse, Breeley, and I spent the day in our jammies.  Josh went to work, because "Cops don't have snow days".  I tried my best to convince him to stay home and watch movies and cuddle, but he didn't give in.  (Sadness!)

Before he went he did take the girls out for some snow day fun.








Yes, we used a laundry basket as a sled. 
We also hooked it up to the dog to make it a dog sled.

After Josh went to work, it snowed and snowed all day long.
I put a bowl outside to collect some snow so we could eat some snowcream.


Alyse wasn't so sure about the snowcream.  I think I added a little too much milk and vanilla to it and it was really runny.  Oops. I tried adding more snow, but she still only had a little bit.  So, I decided to let her just play with the snow inside.  We added some food coloring and she LOVED that.


Most of the time when it snows here in the Carolinas it melts right away, but this time it is still cold and snowy out there.  There is also a thin layer of ice on everything.  So today will be another day spent at home in our jammies.  (I am totally fine with that!) 

I know that it sounds funny to those of you reading from outside of the south that everything shuts down.  I know you are probably pulling on your boots and running around town in many inches of snow, but I love how snow = day at home.  I could drive out there (I mean I did when we lived in Indiana and Michigan in high school and college), but I would much rather prefer to bake some cookies, make some soup, stay in cuddly clothes, and lay around watching movies or reading a book.  So, that is what we are going to do today.

Happy Snow Day!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

How cute!! I love the laundry basket sled...that is adorable! :) We're enjoying the snow and staying in too!

mrs. fuzz said...

Such cute winter pics. What a great idea to use a laundry basket! Then they can't fall on to the ground. Well I guess they could if it tipped over. And the snow cream! I'm going to have to try that. I love checking your blog whenever you post because you are such a cute mom with cute ideas and I seriously get the warm fuzzies when I visit. You inspire me! You can tell that you have a happy sweet family.