Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Monkey Bread Muffins

Growing up, every Christmas morning, and sometimes on special Saturdays, my mom would make Monkey Bread.  I remember the recipe card.  The recipe was written (in someone else's - not my mom's handwriting) on a white card with a huge rainbow on the side.  Mmm.. monkey bread!

When Josh and I got married and Christmas started to be at our house, I knew that I wanted to make monkey bread.  However, there was the whole debate on if you liked the gooey middle (like Josh - I don't like raw bread dough, thank you.) or the crunchy edge (like me).

Then I read a Pampered Chef recipe that reminded me of monkey bread, but it was an individual muffin.  I decided to use that recipe, but I altered it just a little.

Here is the recipe that I use:

*Now before we start, when making these muffins I use the PC stoneware muffin pan, so there is no paper liner.  I am guessing that you could use any type of muffin pan.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup white sugar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 packages Pillsbury biscuits (11.3oz each)
1 stick (1/2cup) of butter, melted

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine pecans, sugars, and cinnamon and mix well
- Cut each piece of biscuit dough into 4 pieces
- Place a few pieces at a time and coat with butter
- Once coated in butter, put in cinnamon sugar mix and toss until coated.
- Put pieces into your muffin pan
(I put the 2 bowls side by side.  I put about 6 pieces in the butter and stir with a spoon and then I scoop them and put them in the cinnamon sugar bowl.  Using another spoon I mix them around and then scoop right into the muffin pan.  This seems to be the neatest way.)
- Once all your muffin cups are evenly filled, take a small spoon full of butter and poor onto each muffin.
- Finally, combine your leftover butter and leftover cinnamon sugar mix and stir together to make a crumb topping.  (You can also add 1tb or so of flour to make it more "crummy".)
- Spoon crumble topping onto each muffin.

- Bake for 20 to 25 mins.  (Again, if you like your monkey bread gooey you may want to take out early, but I tend to bake them the whole 25-30mins until they are a nice deep golden brown.)

Cool for about 5mins, but serve warm.

Makes 12 muffins.

(According to the PC recipe, they are about 250 calories each, but that is with not as much butter and brown sugar... so they are probably a little more than that.)



This recipe is for you Sarah because you are such an wonderful commenter!

5 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

Thanks! I am going to get the ingredients for this to try next week. Yummy!

Annette said...

yummy, Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Unknown said...

I have only had monkey bread once, and have always wanted it again! Thanks for the recipe, yum!!

mrs. fuzz said...

DELICIOUS!

Kim said...

Mmmmmmmmm! Thanks (I think...ha ha!) for the recipe! I made them today for my boys, but ended up eating 2 myself! They smelled so good while baking and looked so yummy...I just couldn't help myself! :(