Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Birthday & Merry Christmas To Me

I have to admit that I am kinda bitter about my 30th birthday.
I didn't have a party.
I didn't get to go on a trip.
I didn't get to go on a big shopping trip....

All those things were discussed, but then.... this happened.
You see awhile ago we noticed that the baseboard in our Master bedroom was turning a brownish color.  Josh thought that there might be a small leak in our shower that was on the other side of the wall.  Some friends of ours who live in the same neighborhood had a leak in the floor of their shower, so we thought that since our house was built by the same company, we might have the same problem. 

Josh called the company who built our house and they said that they would come over to check it.  They said, yes we did have some leaking, but they said if we re-grouted our shower that everything should be fine.

A few days later, Chad (who now feels like a family friend) came over to scrape out the old grout and put new grout in.  I had run out for a few minutes and when I returned he said, "Um.. there is a problem.  Can you come here for a second."  He said that as he was scraping about 5 tiles just fell out.  He asked if he could look and see why they were so lose.  I told him that was fine, but asked that he call Josh and tell him what was going on.

Before the end of the day our shower looked like this:


It was discovered that there was a leak - but it wasn't a small one.  It had actually been leaking for awhile.  (We have lived in our house 6yrs.)  We also had mold.  Nasty, nasty, black, gross, make Stephanie freak out mold!  We were told not even to go into the bathroom unless we looked like this:

That is a problem when you have to walk through the bathroom to get to your closet.

So therefore all birthday plans were canceled and it was decided that I would be getting a brand new bathroom for my birthday.  I say BATHROOM and not just shower because that mold went all the way around the bathtub too.  So for the last 2 months this house has felt like a construction sight. 

(It took so long because of schedules, holidays, sickness, ordering of supplies, etc. And by the way, none of this was covered by the home builders or our insurance.)

But finally, as of last week I now have a new bathroom.



I'm thinking about celebrating my 31st birthday in a big way.
Who wants to help me plan me a party or a trip?

4 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

Oh that is just so not fun. But your new bathroom is beautiful!! Plan something fun for your birthday- if it's in Charlotte maybe I can even make the trek up there!!

Kristin said...

Wow!! What a terrible, unexpected mess!! I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but I have to say...your new bathroom is beautiful!! I love the new tile!

Marie Marsicano said...

Stephanie it looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it. Sorry that it came at such a bad time though.

Mindy said...

SO sorry! That stinks - but it does look beautiful! And go on and start planning that 31st birthday now! It'll be great!