Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sugar And Spice

What are little girls made of?

Sugar and spice,
And everything nice,
That's what little girls are made of.

Most of the time I look at Alyse and just want to kiss her she is so sweet.
But lately the spice has been coming out!
I don't know if it is because she is 3 or because she isn't an only child anymore, or maybe it is just a phase, but my goodness she causing me to pray for patience and wisdom a lot!!!!

Here is a short glimpse at what I am talking about:

SUGAR:

I think the sweetest thing about Alyse is her little giggle and smile.  When she smiles and giggles, I can't help but to smile and giggle with her!

She also loves her Daddy and sister more than anything.  Watching her with both of them is super sweet.

She is still little enough to carry around, and she loves to be held.  Sometimes I hold her and I close my eyes and pray that I can keep holding on to her forever.

She has started praying herself.  Nothing is sweeter than hearing her little voice talking to Jesus.


SPICE:
Story example:  The other night I had Ellie outside.  Before I went out Alyse had said she was hungry, and I told her that I would make her dinner as soon as I came back inside.  So I am out in the backyard when the glass door opens and Alyse yells out the door "Mom! You get in this house right now and get me something to eat!"
Um... excuse me?!?!
1st - what 3yr old calls their mother Mom?  I don't want her to call me Mommy for the rest of her life, but I was waiting on that to stop maybe when she was 6 or 7,  not 3!
2nd - NOT acceptable to talk to me like that. 

She has also started to be argumentative with me.  It isn't really telling me "no", it is more just ignoring what I tell her to do and doing what she wants to.  When I correct her she either continues to ignore me or she starts to "but Mommy" me.  She is always trying to do things her way.  Sometimes I'm ok with that and encourage her "great ideas" but when it is time to clean up, go to bed, get in the car, stop making a mess, etc... I really think that my idea is the great idea and expect her to obey without fighting with me.  (It scares me how much we will fight when she is 13!)

Her words have also started to have an ugly/whiny attitude.  She says things that are so unkind and disrespectful. 

(I guess you could say that obeying and respect are our main struggles right now.)

EVERYTHING NICE:

Even though there is that spice in there, she is still all girly. 
She loves to dress up in her tutus, play with her baby dolls, go shopping, and read books ("Fancy Nancy" is her favorite right now.) 
I also love that every morning I wake up to a "Good Morning, Mommy" and  (most) nights I put her to sleep with a "I love you, Mommy".

I guess that I am learning that even if there are some spicy moments, she really is super sweet. 
I will just have to remember there is much more nice in her than bad.
(And then keeping praying that bad right out of her!)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are girls are one in the same! Molly has her days like that too! Sometimes she makes me want to lock the bathroom door and scream! And other times I want to cry because she looks so cute doing something! But I live for the moments when she stops playing or reading and says "I love you, mom!" Oh that sugar and spice!!

Natalie said...

I have a Spice Girl of my own, and I tell you what, family pictures were...interesting, because of her! I just hope we got a few pictures of her actually looking at the camera! Sheesh!

But her Sugar is definitely when she plays the "Guess What" game, in which we say someone in the family's name, then say, "Guess what?!" They say, "What?" "I LOVE YOU!" is always the response, but she's also picked up the girly "Ohhhh!" at the end that I usually give.

Can't hardly resist her when she gives that adorable smile and plays the "Guess What" game! Until her strong will comes out and "NO!" becomes her favorite word of the day! Sigh.