Thursday, May 6, 2010

Police Week 2010

Wanted to remind everyone that next week is National Police Week.

Each May during National Police Week the nation pauses to recognize the service and sacrifice of U.S. law enforcement.

Established in 1962 by President John F. Kennedy and a joint resolution of Congress, National Police Week pays special tribute to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others. Ceremonies are held in Washington, DC, and in communities across the country.


This year, National Police Week is May 9th-May 15th.

Here in Charlotte there are many activities that are planned to honor police. I know that many of the police wives are planning on baking cookies and dropping them off at the LEC and district offices. I have also heard about a big picnic on the 15th, a 10k at the academy, and various ceremonies through out the week.

If you would like to participate maybe you could write a thank you note, or even just a smile, handshake, or verbal thank you is appreciated.

*I don't think that I am going to be able to participate in any of the events that I have heard about, seeing that I will be at home with a newborn and recovering from a c-section. But I wanted to encourage all of you to somehow show some appreciation for police officers in your area.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for letting us know! I had no idea