Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Baby Story

So I told you she was here, but I am guessing you are wondering the whole story. I really didn't think it would take me this long to get on and post! Sorry about that!

Here we go:

I started having contractions on Sunday night (May 2nd). They were very random. Some of them were hours apart, others were 2 to 3 minutes apart. I called my Dr. and she told me that at the hospital I was delivering at, they liked for you to be 39 weeks unless your water had broke or you were in active labor. She told me to stay in bed and try to make it to Friday when my c-section was scheduled.

My parents arrived to help me with Alyse and I stayed in bed. When I was laying down, I was fine, but the minute I got out of bed contractions would start. Wednesday I called again to see if they needed to check me. My Dr told me that it was too late to come to the office, but if I continued to have contractions I could come into labor and delivery. (I found out later that she had been on call that night and was waiting for me all night. Honestly, if I would have known she was there I would have been on my way, but I never thought to ask.)

On Thursday night there was a special event at church that Josh and I were scheduled to go to. We talked about not going and maybe I should just stay in bed, but I made the choice to go ahead and go. I told Josh that I was tired of being in bed and I knew that I was going to be in bed after a c-section and I wanted one last night out. As we were walking out the door, my mom said, "Call us on the way to the hospital. You know that going out is going to make you go into labor."

I started having contractions not long after we arrived at the church. I also was so hot! Josh said that I had beads of sweat on my face. I just thought it was hot in there, but it seems I was the only one who was that hot. At the end of the service I was SO uncomfortable! Josh asked if I wanted to go home or go to the hospital. When I stood up I knew that there was no way that I was going to make it through the night. We told a few people goodbye and headed to go have a baby.

Soon I found myself hooked up to a bunch of machines and an IV in my arm.



The nurses checked me and I was already at "4, almost 5cm". They brought Josh his surgery scrubs and told us that we were going to go in for a c-section in about 30 minutes.


We ended up waiting for much longer than that! I guess there were 3 emergency c-sections that they had to do before me. We went from 2nd in line to 5th. But finally it was our turn to head into surgery.


Once they rolled me into the operating room it all went by in a flash!!! In less than 20 minutes I had a spinal to numb me, Josh was brought in, and they started. She was born at 1:25am on Friday, May 7th.

I guess she wasn't so sure she wanted to come out. Josh said that they had to use a little vacuum to pull her out but the Dr. (whom I had never met) still couldn't get a good hold of her. Once she was officially out I got to see her for just a quick second before they took her to clean her up. Josh went with her and soon I was rolled into recovery where I got to hold her for the first time.

We were shocked when she was 8lb 4oz! (Alyse was 6lb 3oz). But we both were in love with her right away!

After spending a few hours in recovery, we were finally able to go to my room. (I had to be able to move my legs first. It was taking me awhile to get feeling back. Josh told the nurse that he would just lift me into bed but she just laughed.) We finally got to a room at 5am.

We never really got a chance to sleep. I was so tired! Josh and I hadn't slept since Wednesday night. Soon my parents, sister, and Alyse were there to meet Breeley.

Alyse was so excited!!!


That first day was a blur. We had a number of visitors, but I don't remember that much. I was so sleepy and confined to my bed for the first 24 hours. I was also on strong pain meds.
Over the weekend we had a few more visitors and I was feeling much better!!!

Finally on Monday it was time to come home!!!
Breeley's weight had dropped to 7lb 6oz, but she was healthy and ready to go.
(The dress she is wearing is the same one that Alyse wore home. It was a dress that I wore during my baby dedication. My grandma knitted it.)
Alyse came running for us when we were getting out of the car. She was ready to have her mommy, daddy, and baby sister home with her. She is a wonderful big sister!

I had told Alyse that when we got home we could have a "Birthday party" for Breeley. We had cupcakes and sang "Happy Birthday" to her.
Then Alyse got to open a few presents.

Being home has been wonderful!
Breeley is a great little sleeper. She is really only getting up once during the night. Both nights we have been home I have had at least 6hrs of sleep.
She is nursing wonderfully! (I had a lot of problems nursing Alyse.) We are still working on it, but when we went to the Dr. yesterday she had gained an ounce. So it seems things are working out this time.
She isn't much of a crier! (Praise God!) When she does cry, it is a quiet cry. She isn't a screamer at all.
(I hope I don't jinx things now!)

I am doing good. I am still sore, but really I feel so much better than I thought that I was going to feel. I actually kinda have over done it. I have been out and about and really started to feel it tonight. So, I've decided the next day or so I really need to stay in bed. However, I have nothing to complain about!
By the way: Thanks so much for all your sweet comments!

11 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

Ahh, she is just too precious. Thanks for sharing your baby story. Stay off your feet so you can back to yourself soon!

Becca said...

AWE! She is precious. I really LOVe the pics of her and Alyse together! The little birthday party was such a good idea. I will have to use that one in the future!

Hope you are feeling wonderful!

April said...

Oh my! She is truly a little peach! Her facial features look more defined than most newborns I have seen. She definitely looks like a little girl!! Congratulations

Mindy said...

She is adorable! Love the picture of the two girls with their daddy. Precious!

in HIM
Mindy

Ashley said...

What a beautiful family! And you look amazing just after a C/S!!! Wow I am a tad jealous. Get some rest!

NeverEnoughTime said...

so happy that all went well.
She is beautiful!
take care of yourself and get lots of rest while recovering from your c section.

Natalie said...

What a wonderful birth story! And I love the precious pics; I can just feel the love coming from them. I'm glad you had a picture of you with your boppy so I can now remember to bring mine to the hospital (I forgot both times before). SO glad to hear everyone's doing so well! I can tell you have an amazing support system, and can't wait to share my own birth story soon!

Kelly said...

She is beautiful!!! I loved reading the story! Hope you continue recovering well!

Colleen Gebhardt said...

She's lovely Stephanie! I'm glad you posted. I was wondering why you had her in the a.m. when I knew you were having a c-section. Breely May is so beautiful. I can't wait to meet her. I'm glad Alyse is loving her baby sister. I knew she would. All my best to you, Josh, and Alyse with your new beautiful blessing. xoxo

Unknown said...

Yea!!! You looked so beautiful in all of the pics! I was a wreck after having Molly! What a happy little family of 4 now!! Congrats!

Lisa said...

She's beautiful. The pictures are so precious. Enjoy those little girls.