It was a little more dramatic than I thought it was going to be....
I mentioned to my Dr that my leg has been hurting me lately. I showed her that a bunch of ugly, blue veins had also decided to pop up. She asked me a few questions and I explained to her that about 80 percent of the time it feels like my leg is asleep. (It is numb and tingly or sometimes hurts like it is waking up.) I also told her that I've had a lot of "Charley horse" types of pains. They have been bad enough that they are waking up in the middle of the night.
(There was one night last week I almost knocked Josh out I hit him so hard because I was in so much pain and was trying to wake him up to help me. It was kinda funny afterwards, but Good Lord, it hurt!)
She looked at my veins and told me that she wanted me to go get an ultrasound of my leg to make sure it was not a blood clot. I had to sit at the office for a while anyways because I also had the oh so fun glucose test. She told me that she would send her nurse out to check on me in a bit and she would schedule the leg ultrasound asap. I texted Josh and told him my appointment was going to be a little longer than I thought because I had to have another test done, but really didn't make a big deal out of it.
After they took my blood for the glucose test, I went to check out, make my next appointment, and to see if they had heard anything from the nurse. They told me to have a seat in the waiting room and they would be right with me.
Before I knew it they were walking in with a wheelchair and told me they were going to take me across the street to the hospital. I was very confused and told them I could walk over, but they said my doctor wanted me off my feet and I needed to get over to the hospital to be checked out. They then took me to Admitting and before I knew it I was admitted to the hospital and rolled down to get an ultrasound of my leg.
I didn't really know how to react. Part of me wanted to freak out and call Josh because I had no clue that I was going to be at the hospital!!! The other part of me wanted to laugh because it all seemed so crazy to me. (They offered to help me undress and help me up on the table! I told them that I was fine and that was not necessary.)
I did have a moment when they wheeled me to the room. They were rolling me down the hallway and took me to the 2nd door. That, my friends, was the exact same room that they had taken me to a few months ago when I was admitted to the hospital because of the miscarriage. Really, out of all the rooms in that long hallway it had to be the exact same room!!!!!
After the ultrasound I was wheeled back to find out the results of my ultrasound. It turns out that NO, I do not have a blood clot. However, apparently I have very poor circulation in my left leg. She said there was no blockage or buildup, but my blood was not moving very fast and that is why it feels like my leg is asleep all the time.
They are somewhat worried about it, but there isn't much they can do. They can't give me any meds because it is only on the left side of my body. (Very weird!)
My doctor told me that she was not putting me on bed rest however she was putting me on "stay at home and off your feet as much as possible rest". She told me she knows I am busy (with an almost 3 year old and a husband who is hardly home) but she really wants me in bed as much as I can be.
After almost 4 hours of a very unexpected stay at the hospital, I was discharged and allowed to go home. (Where I had to explain to my parents and Josh that I really was ok.)
It was not what I was expecting for my 27 week appointment, but it is an appointment that I will never forget!
6 comments:
27 weeks!! Yeah your girl is full term! Whoot whoot!
A very strange Dr visit but I'm glad for you that it all turned out ok. I was on bed-rest [due to other reasons] for two weeks and hated it - to limiting. Try to enjoy the days as much as possible... you are almost there!!
We should be headed to the hospital any day now!!
Oh my what an ordeal. But THANK GOD it wasn't a clot. And stay off your feet if you can. Iknow I know you have a toddler lol. Im excited for you your big day is almost here. Best of luck to you!
I'm so glad you're ok! That's kinda scary! Take it easy and get plenty of rest :)
Glad the day at least ended drama free! With my second pregnancy every time they drew blood I passed out. Every time. I learned to just go ahead and schedule the day off! And the "stay off of your feet as much as possible" is so NOT possible with a toddler running around! Praying for you!! For all of you!
Wow, you're handling that so much better than I would! I'll be praying that it isn't anything serious and that you'll listen to your doctor and take it easy!
Hope you are able to take it easy...I know that is hard! So glad it isn't a clot, though. Saying a prayer for you and baby Breeley!
Post a Comment