Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An Engaging Story

The day was November 10, 2002. It was very cold and kind of rainy. Josh called me and told me that he was working on a project most of the day and told me he thought I should hang out with Erica and Jess (my 2 roomies/buddies). I remember hanging up the phone, jumping in my bed and telling Erica that we should just watch a movie and stay in bed all day. Her and Jess gave each other this look, but I didn't think much of it.

A little while later, Jessica's phone rang. She ran into her room to get it and Erica went to join her. They both came in and told me to get up because we were going to the mall. I again said that I didn't want to go to the mall. I wanted to stay in my pjs and just hang out. Erica pulled me out of bed (literally) and ordered me to go take a shower. I argued, but if you know Erica, you know that you don't argue too long with her.

When I got out of the shower, I went and found an outfit laid out on my bed. I asked Erica and Jess why they had pulled out clothes for me and they said I was taking too long and to hurry up. I continued to get ready and soon announced that we could go, even though I didn't want to.

The three of us made our way to the mall and walked around for about an hour or so. Then Erica said that she was ready to go. On the car ride back to our townhouse Erica and Jess started to make plans for dinner. They told me that they would just drop me off and they would see me in a little bit. I remember thinking that was odd that I wasn't invited so I asked them, "Why can't I go to dinner with you?". Jess told me that they would drop me off, I could talk to Josh, and if I still wanted dinner that I could call her and she would bring me something.

When we pulled up to the townhouse I saw that there was a parking spot open right beside our front door. I then tried to convince the two of them to come in with me. Neither one of them would. Eventually I got out of the car and went to open the front door. I noticed that it was very dark inside. I turned and looked at the girls and they motioned for me to keep going.

As I walked in the house I saw that there was a red rose, a candle, and a piece of paper on the stairs leading up to my room.


When I looked at the first paper it said, "The Story of Us". On each page was a part of our story and then a picture of us through the years.

This is how the story went:

November 1, 1980 - The most precious and beautiful baby girl in the entire world was born.

August 24, 1981 - A handsome baby boy was born into this world.

As the years went by, the little girl began to grown up and became more beautiful.

The boy was also growing up and becoming more handsome.

The little girl would move all over the country with her family while the boy would grow up in a small city in Michigan.

July 1996 - The family travels would bring the girl, who was now a young woman to that little city in Michigan.

The young woman and young man would become friends and would spend a lot of time together.

May 10, 1998 - This day changed their relationship. It was her prom and she asked the young man to be her date. That night, the young man's eyes were finally opened and he saw the beautiful young woman in a different way.

They began dating with neither of them knowing where the relationship would take them.

Over a year later they went to another prom together. They were falling more in love with each other.

The next year she would go off to college while he finished high school. She would go home to see him almost every weekend.

Another year later they would go to one last prom together, his Senior prom. People began to realize that they had something really special.

The following fall, he would join her at Indiana Wesleyan University. They were growing closer together.

She was pursuing her degree in Elementary Education while he was pursuing a degree in Criminal Justice and Business Administration. She would also cheer him and his basketball teammates on at every single game, home and away.

Christmas of 2001 - He would make her a promise and seal it with a promise ring.

Summer of 2002 was a little difficult. Her family moved once again and it would be the first time that they would spend months apart. She decided to stay in Charlotte, NC with close friends as he returned to Michigan to work.

While the summer was long and hard, they managed to see each other a little and made it through. When they were reunited at school that fall, they were happier and more in love than ever.

During the fall of 2002 they began to talk about the future together and what they were going to do. The young man asked her father for permission to marry his daughter and was granted it.

When I reached the top of the stairs and turned the corner into my bedroom, there was Josh on one knee surrounded by roses and candles.

He said a lot of sweet, romantic things that basically boiled down to he was so glad that God had brought us together and that he had loved me for 5 years and wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. Then he asked me to marry him.

I, of course, said yes.

I don't really love that picture, but we only have a few from that night. Oh well.

Now, seven years later, I think of that day fondly and I feel so blessed that he chose to marry me!


4 comments:

Mindy said...

SOOOO stinking sweet!!!!!! =)

Unknown said...

So sweet! What a wonderful memory you all have that night!

Cara S. said...

awww what a sweet story! I love it.

Natalie said...

What a precious way to propose! Sounds like it worked pretty well since you still share sweet stories of romantic things your hubby does for you. You make a great couple!