Friday, November 20, 2009

Are You Ready For Some Football?

Yesterday afternoon I was home, all alone. Alyse had left earlier in the day with her Grammy to go spend the weekend with her and Papa. I heard my phone ringing and answered it. It was Josh.

This is our conversation:

Josh: Hey, I have to tell you what just happened. I was walking through Founders Hall on my way to my car to head to the office and this guy walked up to me. He started asking me some questions - how long I had been a cop, where my area is.... I answered his questions and he told me that his dad had been a cop when he was growing up. We talked about how it can be hard on families and some of the stuff that we have to put up with everyday. Then he asked if I had to work tonight. I told him that I was leaving overtime and was on my way to work now, but it wasn't one of my late nights. He asked if I would be done by 8pm. I said yes and then he pulls out some tickets for tonight and hands them to me. I told him that I couldn't accept them, but he insisted. He said that he already had tickets and these were his neighbors who couldn't go and said to give them away. He wanted to give them to me.

Me: Tickets? (I had no clue what tickets he was talking about. For a second I thought he was talking about tickets for New Moon!)

Josh: Yes, 2 tickets for tonight Panther's game. Do you want to go?

Me: Ohhh! On a Thursday?

Josh: Yes, they play Miami tonight. Do you want to go?

Me: Sure... yes, I've never been to a NFL game before.

We then made plans to meet up and headed to the game.

The seats were pretty good.
I was worried about it being cold, so I brought my snuggie with me. It was a really nice night though. (But I was glad I brought it to sit on since the seats were a little wet.)

The Panther's ended up losing. But I was glad that we went. It made Josh very happy.

Side notes:

- Josh and I had a conversation about how our next date night needed to be something different than a sporting event considering our last date night was to a Bobcats game.
- I asked Josh if this game was going to be like the games that he makes me watch at home. I always end up watching the game (that I don't even care about) and I look over to see Josh sound asleep. However, he managed to stay awake the whole time. :)
- I got a little distracted and didn't watch much of the game. Football fans are crazy! Lots of drinking and yelling. There were at least 5 fights that were right in our section. Twice the cops had to come and escort people out. I told Josh that the people were much more entertaining than the game.
- I'm not really sure if football games are my scene. Don't mind watching it on TV, but I prefer more civilized sports -like basketball. :)


5 comments:

Heather said...

When I went to my first NFL game a few years ago, I couldn't BELIEVE all the yelling and drinking. You don't see all that on TV! :) Glad ya'll had a good date night!

Unknown said...

What a nice guy to give you all tickets! Yea for date nights!

Sarah Robbins said...

We watched that game on tv! (Well, we live in Arizona but are die-hard Panthers fans, so we watched it live-streaming on the internet.) I wish I would have known to watch for you. SO fun!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I wish I could help you on the mesh ribbon....I order mine from market...I think we have already been through 150 rolls...
We have a pottery place here that sells a few colors...Wish I could help you....google it and you might find a place to buy it online....

Natalie said...

I've never attended a live NFL game (and probably never will since the hubs isn't that into sports) but date nights are always fun!

What a cute story about the guy sympathizing with cop families. That's hilarious you thought they were New Moon tickets! I would've as well, considering the day. ;)