After I pointed out the big man to Alyse we started to look at all the fall/Halloween decorations that were in our neighborhood. I noticed that most of the houses (especially on my street) are not decorated with festive things like pumpkins, leaves, mums, gourds, etc. Instead our house is surrounded by neighbors who have "dead bodies" and body parts coming out of the ground, coffins, skeletons, witches, goblins, devils, ghost, grave stones, spider webs, huge spiders (like bigger than windows) climbing up their houses, etc. (Again, I would have taken pictures for you but I thought it would be odd to walk around with my camera and stop in front of every ones houses.)
There is a house down the road that has a body outline on their driveway with blood poured all over and caution tape around it. (Remind me not to try to sell our house around Halloween so people don't think this is a super scary neighborhood.)
I personally believe that all of those decorations are rather disturbing
(and maybe a little trashy.)
Now, I understand that Halloween is suppose to be fun. I am all about dressing up, getting candy, bobbing for apples, decorating pumpkin cookies, etc... but I am not sure that I want to look out my window and see dead bodies and body parts. Maybe it's just me.
Growing up we didn't really celebrate Halloween. We did dress up and did things like "Trunk or Treat" or "Fall Festivals", but I have never in my life been Trick or Treating. It isn't like my parents thought it was evil or anything we just usually had to be at church events. (When your dad's the pastor you are kinda suppose to go...) Plus my sister and my birthday is the next day, so we also did birthday stuff on Halloween a lot of the time.
So maybe I just don't understand the whole Halloween thing.
Now that I have my own child/children, I guess I am going to have to work on the balance of making Halloween fun and a treat instead of scary and tricky.
What do y'all do when it comes to Halloween?
8 comments:
my husbands family live in UTAH I just learned what trunk or treat was like a week ago! lol I didnt understand at first.In cali we all live so close to eachother that most houses do look like the gross ones you described.They are all like mini haunted houses.We just take our kids at night to the houses ring the bell and say TRICK OR TREAT.usually there is something at the door that tries to scare the kiddies.My house personally I just do in fall decor.That way I can put it up in sept to nov.I have a couple of scarecrows and some pretty florals and a large pumpkin.Im much more a christmas person!My daughter bday is oct 30th she turns 5 this yr we are having a costume partythis time around.
I totally agree! I got assigned "Halloween Decorations" for our staff breakfast and was totally bummed when they picked to have spiders. Ewww! But it could have been worse.
At home, I will stick with cute pumpkins and scarecrows!
That's a good question! I grew up trick-or-treating around the neighborhood because we were the hotspot in town since my Dad, being a Sales Rep for Hershey's, would hand out full-size candy bars and we personally knew all of our neighbors.
Even though we still live in the same town I grew up in, it's not the same and NOW we do trunk-or-treating through our church or family activities.
I've never been into the disgusting spook alley's that are WAY popular in our area...I'm more into the food and autumn decor aspect like you! Those other decorations sound...interesting though! And I'm intrigued about the giant hay bale creation!
I'm sorry... what the nuggets is trunk or treating? :O
KD - Trunk or Treat is a big Halloween get together. I have been to a few. They do them a lot at schools, churches, etc.
The ones I have been to there is a big parking lot where people pull in with there cars forming a big square. People decorate their cars and then have the trunks full of candy. Kids can walk around to all the cars and get candy. In the middle park of the square there is things like bobbing for apples, face painting, games, etc. They are pretty fun.
KD - Trunk or Treat is a big Halloween get together. I have been to a few. They do them a lot at schools, churches, etc.
The ones I have been to there is a big parking lot where people pull in with there cars forming a big square. People decorate their cars and then have the trunks full of candy. Kids can walk around to all the cars and get candy. In the middle park of the square there is things like bobbing for apples, face painting, games, etc. They are pretty fun.
That's kind of what I figured it was, so thank you for the confirmation! It sounds like a lot of fun. :) More fun than actual trick or treating, if you ask me!!
We live in the country, so it's not really an issue around our house, but I'm not a huge fan of "scary" houses either. As a kid, we always trick or treated around my neighborhood, but we were never allowed to be scary things like skeletons or vampires, we were things like brides or princesses.
Now with my own kids, we don't really go door-to-door. We spend the whole evening driving around to different family members and friends houses instead. We've also done trunk-or-treat once too at the church. Nathan wants to be a skeleton some year, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about that.
I love this time of year, but I am so much more into the harvest decor than scarey stuff. I can't believe some of the costumes out there, especially for girls! Some of them are very inappropriate.
Post a Comment