Thursday, August 20, 2009

Another Year

Three years ago I would have woken up today, put on a dress, got a lunch together, checked my bag for the 10th time, said a little prayer, and drove about 5 miles down the road to walk into my 3rd grade classroom.

I would have written a little "Welcome to 3rd Grade!" note on the board.

I would have laid out papers and a little surprise on 20 desk.

I would have put some fun yet not to exciting music on.

I would have checked all my bulletin boards that I worked hard on, straightened my math meeting board, and admired my back to school decorations making sure that my room looked fun, inviting, friendly, and educational all at the same time.

I would have waved to my fellow teachers and say "Can you believe that today is the first day of school?"

I would have prayed, "Please, Lord, let me have a good year!"

I would have felt nervous and excited.

Then I would have opened my door and made sure to welcome each and every student into my classroom.

I would also wave to and hug my other kids who had grown a little taller over the summer and were now not my kids at all.

I would assure both parents and students that this was going to be a good day and a great year!

I would point to where I had arranged a spot for tissues, paper, pencils, and a bunch of other school supplies.

I would open a little gift or two that a shy 8 year old would hand to me and then "OOhh" and "Aww" over it, give them a hug and say thank you.

I would look out at 20 faces that I knew were looking at me wondering if they were going to like me, and if I was going to like them. (They didn't know that I was thinking the same thing.)

I knew some of them were happy to be there and some of them would have rather been anywhere else in the world. (They didn't know that I had both of those same feelings too.)

I then would start the day, trying to be the fun teacher who took them on a scavenger hunt, let them introduce themselves with little posters and "Me bags".

I would let them look at their books and tell them about all the fun things that they were learn about.

We talked about our room, our rules, our class - and I would try to make it seem like we were part of a fun little team, just the 20 of us.

I would would smile when a handsome police officer would show up at my classroom door with flowers and would say hello to all my new kids.

I would make sure that I talked to each one of those new kids during the day trying to learn something about them, and hopefully remember their name, sometimes having to sneak a peek at the apple name tag on their new desk.

We would all make it through the day - all of us on our best behavior.

Soon it was time to go home.

We would say our goodbyes, some of them waving and saying "Bye Mrs V! See you tomorrow!" and some of them grabbing their things and rushing out to car line as fast as possible.

I would wait for all of them to go, then I would go back to that room, sit in that big chair, and sigh.

Another year had begun.

Today, I am sitting in another big chair. A big comfy red one in my living room.

I am wearing pjs and listening to a 2 year old laugh and giggle.

"Eggo, Go, Go, Go" (aka Go, Diego, Go) is playing in the background.

I really don't have much planned for the day.

Just a day as a stay at home mommy.

While I really miss those kids, fun back to school decorations and bulletin boards - I am SO glad to be here at home today.

And I know that before I know it, one of those 20 little faces will be the face of a beautiful little girl named Alyse, and another year will have begun.


5 comments:

Dori said...

That made me a little teary eyed...I think it was the part about them growing up. Before you know it. There they are going off to school. Maybe it's because my four-year-old is starting pre-K in a few weeks. He's so excited. I'm excited for him. Yet at the same time I just want him to stay the delightful 4-year-old that he is. With better bladder control, of course. But I love this age. I get all weepy just thinking about it. But that could be sleep deprivation caused by the 2-year-old...

Heather said...

As a former teacher and now stay home mommy myself, I loved this post!!!

Jess said...

girl -
your writing gets better and better.

excellent post.


love
jess

lov said...

oh how i love this!!!!

Natalie said...

I'm SO glad that I'm not the only teacher turned SAHM that has the same emotions!

Well, my classroom was always full of older faces, but still.

I had six different classes worth, so I was privileged enough to get to know over 150 students in one semester. In fact, the 7th graders I had during my student teaching just graduated this past year (one was even a contestant in the Miss Idaho Fall Pageant!) I attended their senior awards night, and I'm so proud of them!

I've really struggled the during the beginning of the school year for three years as well, but I almost went back to teaching this year. I've never been more glad to hear that the position had already been filled.

Thanks for this amazing post!