Six years later, I can honestly say that it was a wonderful day....however there are many things that I would change about it. (Is that bad to say?)
First of all - HATED my hair! I mean hated it! I had spent about an hour sitting in a chair having my hair done and it looked beautiful. It was down and exactly how I wanted it. Then it started to sprinkle outside. There was this big conversation and everyone convinced me that I should wear it up so it didn't look a mess by the end of the day. By that time we were running late so the hairdresser did this quick "up do". I was so sad!
(And the day ended up being nice and sunny.)
I also was not a huge fan of my dress. I liked it, but I really didn't love it. I never found one that I loved, so I just went with one that I thought was fine. Now..I regret that decision. I did like my veil though...
And finally I wish that I would have spent more money on a photographer. I look at other people's wedding pictures and I get all jealous. I really wish that I could have a "do over" (which would include another dress and my hair down - or at least done differently than it was.)
There were things that I loved about my wedding.
Most importantly~JOSH! I had waited almost 6 years to marry him. And gosh he was handsome in his tux! (I love Josh in a tux! Maybe it is because our first official date ~prom~ he had a tux on.) I knew walking down the aisle that day that God had made Josh just for me. I knew that he would not only hold my hand and love me that day, but he would hold my hand and love me for the rest of our lives. I knew that he would always be standing by my side and that I could trust him with my whole heart and life.
One of my favorite thing about the whole day were the flowers! My bouquet was exactly what I wanted. I loved my purple roses. There were also a few stephanotis mixed in because, well they were white and it use to be a nickname that people called me. I also loved my bridesmaid's flowers. They were yellow roses with pink tips. I then decorated the stage with 100s of white roses and candles. It was very pretty.
Our location was perfect! We were married at the performing arts center on our college campus. It was really special to get married there because we felt very at home since we spent 3 days a week for 4 years in the auditorium for chapel services. Also we were the 1st people to ever get married there. I really loved the auditorium. They have very pretty lights hanging from the ceiling that looked like stars. The lights were dimmed, except for on the stage and there were candles everywhere so it was a candle light service in the middle of the day. I also loved it because we could not see the 200 people who were in the audience, so it seemed very private.
Our vows are very special to me. In fact, they are printed out and are hanging right beside our bedroom door where we can see them every day. We did the traditional "Do you take this woman/man..." vows, but we also wrote our own. Josh promised to bring me flowers once a month. I promised to bake him a dessert once a week. So far, we have (pretty much) stuck to those vows. :)
I loved our reception. It really wasn't fancy. There was a big dessert buffet -milk and cookies (oreos and chocolate chip), an ice cream sundae bar, lots of fruit, and other random candies and sweet things. And of course a big wedding cake. It was all of our favorite yummy things. In the background there was big band music playing. LOVED it!
So, do you want to see some of the pictures?
Ok, here we go!
Here is a head shot. See my "beautiful" spiral curls framing my face. (EWW!)
This is my sister and I. I loved the blue color of the bridesmaid dresses. See how pretty my flowers were?! This is a view of what the stage looked like.
After 6 years of dating, we were finally Mr. and Mrs.
This is our whole bridal party...
I know it looks huge, but we really only had 4 people each stand up with us.
I had my sister-Danielle, Josh's two sisters-Maria and Rachel, and my college roommate-Erica as my bridesmaids. The rest of my ladies were good friends who were "honorary attendants". First there is Joy, who is like a sister to me, Jess - my roommate, Jessica - Jonathan's now wife, and Laura - another roommate.
Josh's groomsmen were our good friend Jonathan, George and Aaron - who were teammates and friends, and Zack- his roommate. The rest of Josh's guys were ushers. Hummel- another of his basketball teammates that he we wanted to include in our day, Lee- another roommate and Jeremy- a family friend.
Also pictured is Doug, Joy's husband and then our flower girl and ring bearers, Emma Grace, Mac, and Jacob who are Joy and Doug's children.
We were married by our youth pastor, Brian. My dad also had a part in the ceremony.
After the wedding, we took pictures forever! I felt very bad for all of our guest at our reception, but it was fun to just spend some time by ourselves and take some pictures of just the two of us.
I had my sister-Danielle, Josh's two sisters-Maria and Rachel, and my college roommate-Erica as my bridesmaids. The rest of my ladies were good friends who were "honorary attendants". First there is Joy, who is like a sister to me, Jess - my roommate, Jessica - Jonathan's now wife, and Laura - another roommate.
Josh's groomsmen were our good friend Jonathan, George and Aaron - who were teammates and friends, and Zack- his roommate. The rest of Josh's guys were ushers. Hummel- another of his basketball teammates that he we wanted to include in our day, Lee- another roommate and Jeremy- a family friend.
Also pictured is Doug, Joy's husband and then our flower girl and ring bearers, Emma Grace, Mac, and Jacob who are Joy and Doug's children.
We were married by our youth pastor, Brian. My dad also had a part in the ceremony.
After the wedding, we took pictures forever! I felt very bad for all of our guest at our reception, but it was fun to just spend some time by ourselves and take some pictures of just the two of us.
We also walked over to the gym (were we spent a LOT of our time) and took some pictures there. I wish that I had some pictures of the guys shooting around on my computer...but I don't.
Finally at the end of the day we walked out to a shower of rose petals.
It really was a wonderful day.
And plus - I really did marry the man of my dreams!

18 comments:
Happy Anniversary!!
I loved looking at your wedding pictures! And don't worry, I think everyone has things they would love to go back and redo for their wedding. I wish we had spent more time with our guests. I really wish we had more pictures of just me and Hubby!
I love seeing these! If I could go back and do mine again, I might use a different photographer, too. Some of my pics aren't that great, but most are okay!
Have a good weekend!
Happy Anniversary!!
I loved looking at your wedding pictures and reading about your special day. Don't worry, if I could go back and change things about my wedding day, I would. Oh well, at least we're happyily married! :)
I just posted about my wedding if you'd like to check it out: www.joyfuladorations.blogspot.com
Thanks for showing your pictures and your story. I wish I had spent more on my pictures as well. We were super blessed to have someone offer to take our pictures, and they were good. I just see other people's and am jealous. . .
Loved the stage and gym pictures!
I loved reading about your wedding! Your flowers were, oh-my, beautiful!!!! Purple roses...gorgeous!
You're not alone in wanting to change things about your day. I would do the same!
Haha! You figured out that Kelly and I are sisters. We're actually joined at the hip...just kidding. She's pretty much amazing in my opinion. :)
I did start following you here on your blog and on twitter! I love meeting new people. I'm praying for you and I hope you have a nice weekend!
SUCH a fun post that I may end up "copying" when my 6th year anniversary hits this December (I tell you, it's eery how alike we are!)
It was a perfect day between snow blizzards the day before and the day after, so I felt like everything went awesome, though I agree about the photographer.
My hubby wore a kilt since he lived in Scotland for a few years, yet she posed him as if he were in pants...anyways, some look awkward or cut him off weird.
I know you didn't like your hair, but the black and white pic of you is absolutely precious!
Happy Anniversary Stephanie and Josh!!!!
I too would change things about my wedding day, mainly my hair!!! If I could do it all again I'd decorate totally different and choose different colors. I liked what I had at the time. I actually wanted a blue similar to your bridesmaids, maybe a little darker, but had a hard time finding it so I went with purple. I was so disappointed, we had like 5 inches of rain on my wedding day and we only got one picture outside and didn't even get to throw the birdseed. Plus we had a neat purple convertible and we couldn't put the top down. OH WELL...I still have a great husband and that's really all that matters!!!
Oh, and by the way, I left such a long message that I forgot to tell you I love your picture in the gym. So cute and such personality to it. They were all good, but that is my favorite!
Happy Anniversary- Congrats on 6 years. The wedding looked and sounded wonderful!
I love your pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Even if everything went wrong, only 1 thing went right - you married the man God intended for you!
God bless your 6 years... and many more to come!
Allison
Congrats! Our 6th anniversary is coming soon, too. And, I hated my hair and dress, also. LOL
You looked gorgeous!
Aw...I know I've said before, but you guys are just so stinkin' adorable! And even if you hated your hair and dress--you still looked beautiful!
Happy Anniversary! I hope you two managed some time alone to celebrate!
I was there that day! :) it was a beautiful wedding, Steph... and yeah, I would agree that every bride has some things they wish they could "do over" (getting married in China did complicate things at times), but at the end of the day, you married your best friend, so that's all that matters :)
Happy anniversary!
Stopping by from Lynette's blog . . . . Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Barb
SO SWEET! You got married on the exact day that my 2nd daugther was born. She is 6 today. =)
oh i love this!! happy anniversary and thanks so much for sharing with us!
You didn't make any comments about your bridesmaid dresses!!! I know how much you loved them! (We could have switched dresses) I know you hated your hair but you did look beautiful. (and I'm not going to lie- my hair was way fun)
My favorite part of the day was me trying to explain to the photographer and Bryan how you both were trying to surprise each other with the EXACT same thing-of special rings-and neither one of them got that you didn't know Josh had bought your special ring, and you had his. Sadly that confusion meant no great picture of your faces and laughing> But we do have you laughing during communion with Dad! And I'm still bitter we didn't take pictures in the flowers!
Oh my heavens, where has the time gone? 6 years has just gone so fast! Happy Anniversary, dear friends! We are so glad that God brought you together and are very proud of you both.
My kids are so little in the picture! I have the biggest tears in my eyes! The boys were so innocent back then;) And my baby...where did she go? It's depressing...yet it encourages me to make the most of everyday!
Love you!
Post a Comment