One of my favorite blogs that I read is Whittaker Woman. Heather and her husband, Carlos, live in the Atlanta area and have 3 beautiful kids.
One of the things that they do as a family is to have Family Nights. Each week they pick a theme. They then decorate and plan their dinner and some activities around the theme.
Here, watch this short video about it:
Family Nights from Carlos Whittaker on Vimeo.
Isn't that awesome?!
I so want to do that! I mean I really, really, really want to do that!
The special memories that they are making as a family are priceless!
Right now we have not been having these type of Family Nights. (I do plan special "holiday events" but we don't do weekly theme nights.) I would like to wait for now until Alyse is about 4 or 5 and hopefully there will be a night then that Josh can join us once a week.
However, I have already started to plan some! I have a whole list of themes. Some of them are out of my head, and some of them are "stolen" from the Whittakers.
Click here to check out some of their family nights and to get some good ideas.
Go ahead and plan a family night! You know you want to!
I am sure it will be so worth it!
3 comments:
How fun!!! We use to have Family Nights every week growing up, but we'd have a whole program like opening song, scripture, lesson (usually from the scriptures or dealing with a moral dilemma), closing song, family prayer, dessert and games. It sounds very spiritual and uplifting, and it would have been, but there's a reason we usually ended up calling it "Family Fight Night." Dad would take advantage of all of us in the same room for once (there were six of us kids) and lecture about the latest thing we needed to work on (eg the "lesson") then we would get defensive, blah, blah, blah. It'd always cool down in time for family prayer and dessert so we were willing to play games!
Growing up with all brothers, there's no way they would've done "themes," but now that I have my own little family, I'm all over the themed family nights and am in love with some of the ideas you mentioned. Thanks so much!
We do "family movie night" although it's not really all-inclusive since we have a 2 year old. So we end up putting him to bed and then doing family movie night. But we HAVE gotten better about being more organized at the dinner table and making those moments special. We used to not even manage that. We're getting better with practice! It's so much easier now that the "baby" is turning into a boy. (I cry and cheer at the same time. I can't decide if I'm happy or sad. both, I guess!!)
Oh, also, it just occurred to me that you might like the blog of a friend of mine. She just started one and it's about her spiritual journey. You might like to get to know her. It's called A Year to the Life I Want.
Post a Comment