Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Oh, Pinocchio


As I type, my child is watching the newly released Pinocchio. It was bought for her this weekend and I put it on for her to enjoy a little Disney classic.

There was singing and dancing, a fairy came, they wished upon a star and then....

I look and saw Pinocchio smoking a cigar and drinking a beer.

Hm....

Well, they do have that non smoking trailer in the beginning of the movie. And that could be some other sort of fizzy drink in that mug.....

Then I heard the word "jackass". A couple of times....

Um, ok - didn't really remember that.
Well, I do remember the bad boys turning into donkey's, but I didn't remember "the Biblical word" being tossed out there.

So I decided to look it up and see if there was a suggested "age appropriate" level for the movie. Most I found said that "This Disney masterpiece is darker than you may remember" and it was suggested for kids 5 and up.

One of the things that I did find funny was that I found under the "Language" warnings that the words "Stupid" and "Shut up" were heard. Also the "dated use of the word "gypsy" may be offensive to some". Oh yes! That is exactly what I thought. I can't believe they would use a horrible word like "gypsy".

I also found this positive comment: " The main character learns in the roughest of circumstances what happens to little boys who are not brave, truthful, and unselfish. He is tricked, cheated, lied to, and kidnapped, sometimes with his own consent as he ignores his conscience as embodied by Jiminy Cricket. This is a great movie to start a conversation about letting your conscience be your guide and recognizing right and wrong, as the characters here show both possible paths."

I thought about it, and really, it shows that making poor choices brings consequences. It also encourages you to think about what you are doing is right or wrong by listening to your conscience. So after listening to my conscience , I have decided I think it is ok for Alyse to watch it. I think most of it is a little over her head.

However, if she starts saying words like "gypsy" that DVD is out of here!


2 comments:

danielle said...

Stick with the Princesses...the only "bad" thing she will learn is the love of pretty shoes!

Wendy said...

Yeah, we recently had an incident in our house with a classic Daffy Duck cartoon. I was wondering why my son came to me with a drawing with SWASTIKAS on it!!! Turns out it was a WWII era cartoon that was making fun of Hitler (and unfortunately had some other racial stereotypes in it as well). No gypsies though! We got that CD into the trash pretty darn fast. You have to be careful of those "classics"!!