Here is the story:
On Tuesday at about 6:45pm I left Pastor and Holly's house. (Alyse and I spent the day with Elijah and Graham while Pastor and Holly were at the Thr3e conference.) I decided to take the back way home. At about 7pm I came to the light at Idlewild and Steven's Mill Rd. I was going about 35 to 40mph. The light had just turned yellow, so I went through the light. All of a sudden there was a red car right in front of me. I hit the brake but hit him head on.
I think that I blacked out for a second. I had a moment where I thought "what just happened?!" I pushed the air bag out of my face and saw that the car was hazy from the airbag going off. I was shaking and my ears were ringing.
Alyse was in the backseat and screaming. I hurried out of the car, grabbed her and checked her out. She seemed fine and started to calm down.
I had been talking to Josh on speaker phone, so I started to search for the phone to tell him what happened. He asked where I was. I told him and then he told me he would be there as fast as possible.
By this time there were people getting out of their cars and coming over to check on me and the other guy involved in the accident. An older gentleman came over and asked if I was ok. I told him that I thought so. He then asked me if I realized my face was bleeding. I told him that I was ok. Then this lady said, "You look very pale. Please let me take your baby and sit down." I didn't want to give Alyse to her but by that time there was a crowd of people who were all asking me questions and I started to feel a little dizzy. I handed Alyse to her, but continued to hold her hand as I leaned against a pole.
I looked over at the guy who I hit. Apparently his door had been wedged shut and he could not get out of his car, but he was talking and seemed to be ok.
Soon there was 2 firetrucks and 2 ambulance that arrived. They asked if I was ok, but I had them check Alyse first while I held some gauze on my chin and nose. She seemed to be ok.
Before I knew it they had put a neck brace and head brace on me and I was strapped to a board on a stretcher. I kept telling them my husband was on the way and I didn't need an ambulance but they told me that I would need to be transported by them. They quickly put Alyse and I in an ambulance and I was off to the hospital.
At this point I was still calm. I kept talking to Alyse and telling her I was fine. They rolled me into the hospital and I started to get cleaned up by nurses and answered question after question.
Josh showed up very quickly. He took Alyse and came over to kiss me. Then my sister came in the room. She took Alyse while Josh talked to me. By now I was starting to get upset. I knew Alyse was ok, so I started to lose some of my adrenalin. I was shaking and started to feel the pain in my face, arms, legs, and chest. I also was feeling very claustrophobic with the straps, neck brace, and my head being restrained. I admit that I started to panic a little.
The doctor came in and checked Alyse out and said that she was perfectly fine. She only has one bruise on her shoulder/neck from the car seat strap.
He sent me in for a CT scan and ran some test.
About 3 hours later he came in and told me that I seemed to be ok. He told me that I was going to be very sore and beat up. He gave me some pain meds and I was discharged from the hospital. Josh had come in his uniform in a marked police car so he drove me home in a police car. (Ha!)
Yesterday I slept most of the day. My pain meds have basically knocked me out. I think I was up about 7 hrs off and on.
Today I am very sore. I still have a horrible headache. My face is what looks the worst. It also hurts! There are cuts, bruises, and burns from the airbag. I also have some cuts and burns on both of my arms and my left leg. Both of legs are very bruised. My chest hurts also. There is bruising all the way from my shoulder to my hip where the seat belt was.
I am not sure about the driver of the other car. He was out and walking around, so I think he was ok, but I have not heard anything.
I also don't know who's "fault" it was. Josh went to the scene before he came to the hospital and he also talked to the officer. There was a witness that said I ran a red light (but I promise you that I did not!) As of right now, I was given a ticket, and I will have to go to court in June, but the officer said that he believes the ticket will be dismissed.
The whole thing happened so fast! I still can't believe it happened!
Thanks for your prayers and encouragement!
14 comments:
My goodness!! I'm glad you & Alyse are OK! I hope the swelling & bruising go away quickly.
Sooooo glad it wasn't worse than it was and that Alyse was okay! I know it's very scary, especially with kids in the car, unfortunately it's happened to me. All I can say is, thank God for car seats!!! I hope you're feeling better soon! Take care of yourself and take time to heal!
Wow...I had no idea! I'm so glad you posted so I can lift you up in prayer. PTL that Alyse is okay. Hang in there!
What a trooper! It's my husband's worse nightmare to picture having to arrive on the scene of an accident involving me and the kids, but it sounded like your man handled it pretty well!
He didn't make you ride in the back though, did he? I had to when my husband "patrolled" me home after I walked to a friend's house and it rained or something. At least he thought it was funny!
I wish you a speedy recovery!!!
I am so sorry you were in an accident! I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you both. Praise God for His mighty hand of protection on you! Where you had your accident is right by my house! I've seen many accidents at that intersection or right before it as people come over the top of the hill not seeing traffic that is backed up at the light on the other side of the hill. Praying for a speedy recovery...hope you feel better soon!
OH no, i'm so sorry to hear this happened....but i'm so glad you are ok!
i've missed you on my blogging hiatus
Oh man! I can't believe that happened to you! Your car looks awful and I can't believe that is all that happened to you. That is a blessing in itself. I hope that everything works out OK. Take it slow and recover, and I am glad that she is OK too. Accidents are so scary when you have kids!!! =)
glad you're both okay!!!
I cant imagine how scary that would be!! Glad you are okay! Thinking and praying for you!
I had a similar experience with Amber when she was an infant. In my Chevy blazer. She slept through it all, I was so worried about her, I had no idea my head was cracked open until I felt the blood on my neck. The tears set in at the hospital. Very, very, scary. I'm glad you guys are ok, and since you are, I will say it....now you can get a new car. LOL!
Holy Smokes! So glad to hear that BOTH of you are fine! Thank God for carseats!! And, yea! for a LE husband on the scene!
Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to you!! I had the same thing happen to me Valentine's Day 3 years ago 2 weeks after my 3 year old was born. Luckily he wasn't with me and my then 3 year old daughter was traumatized but okay. That must've scared Josh. So glad you are okay and that your baby girl is okay. Sounds like you had the carseat just right. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I am sorry to hear about your accident, I am so glad that you are both okay!! I hope you feel better soon!
Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you today and I hope you are healing up and not feeling too bad now that you are off the pain medication.
Post a Comment