For the month of January I made a commitment to myself and to Josh that I would not do any extra shopping.
I made sure at the end of December that we had enough essentials (Shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toilet paper, diapers, wipes, etc...).
Each week Josh gave me some cash that I could use for gas, eating out, or any temptations that I could not resist.
Then the only shopping that I did was our grocery shopping. We set an amount for each week and I stuck to it. (We shop online at Lowe's, so it was easy to see the total of my shopping cart. This works great for me so I can omit things we don't really need.)
I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself. I went to the mall and did not spend one cent. I did go out to eat a few times, but I used the cash and did not pull out the debit card. By the end of the month I had saved almost all of the cash that Josh had given me and had only spent gas money and $8 on a Target run.
Now, with all that said..... January is over, and I had to go shopping.
Really, I had to!
That day that I was at the mall I had Alyse's feet sized. That day she was wearing a size 3 shoe. The lady told me that her feet were measuring size 5.5 or 6. Oops! I knew that they were a little snug, but they really did not seem that bad.
So my first purchase was at the shoe store. (They were buy one get one half off, so I think it was a pretty good deal.)
I also discovered over the month that Alyse had no black hair bows. This was something that had to be fixed! So I went to one of my bow getting places, and bought one. Well, one black one, and 4 others that I thought she might need. :)
Then I decided to do a quick Old Navy run. I got her a few little things there too. I mean, she needed something to wear for Valentine's Day, and the cute pink sweatsuit was only $8!
I almost didn't get her these cute Valentine's pjs because I could only find them in 12months. (I normally buy her 18 month clothes.) However I read the back to check the weight/height table, and it said that they should fit her. They do! (For those of you who don't know, Alyse will be 2 next month, and here she is wearing 12 month pjs!)
Finally, look at these cute "boots" (that she picked out herself.) I had to get them and the raincoat to go with them. (SO can not wait to watch her play in the rain!)
Really, I know that it looks like I went crazy after the spending freeze, but all of this was only about $100, and I had saved that amount in cash, so really everything came out pretty even.
Plus I got my shopping fix, so I have decided that I can do the whole no shopping thing again for the rest of the month. I can do it! February is a short month!

5 comments:
Shopping is just too much fun! That is a really good system, I wish I could commit myself to something like that! The raincoat and boats are adorable *and so is everything else*, we bought Autumn the blue and white flowered set! Did you see the umbrella too? It took everything for me not to grab that up!
Wow - Who found those beautiful red shoes?
Alyse has great taste, the raincoat and boots are adorable. Don't feel bad about the shoes, I had Matthew's feet measured last week and he measured 8-8 1/2, he'd been wearing mostly 6's! Oops!
Alyse you have excellent choice in clothing. I just wish it rained enough here to even think of owning a pair of those cute boots. I love the rain!
Stephanie - Good job with your shopping game! Officer and I play those all the time! We have saved so much money that way, it inspires us to keep going each month further.
-Dispatcher
Where did you get the boots? I have been looking for some for Ella but can't seem to find ones that I really like... Jess
Post a Comment