Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Did NOT Remain Calm

When I went to go pick up Alyse from her class this morning at church, her teacher told me that they had "talked about people in our community who help people, like firemen! "
"Oh, really?" I replied. "Did you talk about police men like Daddy?"
Her teacher said, "Not really. We basically talked about firemen...."

Little did I know that she was preparing her for events that would happen later in the day!

It was about 3pm and Josh and I were relaxing watching a little Law and Order off the DVR. Alyse was suppose to be sleeping, but had just ended up in bed between us since there wasn't much sleeping going on in her crib.

There was a very loud knock at our door. Josh and I looked at each other and I said, "Um...why does that knock scare me?" Josh got up, went in and got his gun, and told me to stay in our room. He walked out of our room and I sat waiting for him to come back in. A minute or so later, he walks in, puts his gun away and starts to change out of his comfy clothes and into work jeans and an old tshirt. I asked him what he was doing. He said, "Well....don't freak out on me! I am going out to our backyard. There is a fire."

Now, if you know me, you know that I have a not so small fear of fire!!!

"What!", I yelled as he walked out our bedroom door.
"Stephanie. It's ok. Call 911. I have to go outside now. Just remain calm." He said, with this super calm voice.

I rushed to our window and looked out into our backyard.
I saw flames in our backyard, our neighbor's backyard, and a few had started to spread into the next backyard. My heart started to beat out of my chest.

By the time Josh got back to the woods where the flames were, I realized that the flames were bigger than him. (He is 6ft 3.)

I, my friends, did NOT remain calm.

I started to pull myself together, said a little prayer, and picked up the phone to dial 911.

Fire, Police, or Medic?
FIRE!
-------- County Fire, how can I help you?
There is a fire in my backyard. You may have gotten a phone call by now, but I wasn't sure.
What is your address?
I told her our address as calmly as I could.
Yes, I believe we have gotten a phone call about this. Is it the fire in the woods in (name of our neighborhood)?
Yes. That is it.
We do have help on the way, Ma'am. Can you tell me how big the fire is now?
Well, it's about 3 backyards long. I can't tell how wide it is.
Ok, well it sounds like it is spreading. I will let them know. Just please remain calm and know that they will get there as soon as they can.
Thank you, I will.
Ok, please call us back if you need anything else.
Thank you.
Click


I then walked to the back door to check on things. Josh was now pointing here and there and telling a number of our neighbors what to do.

I started to look around and put my "Fire Plan" into action.
(Oh, yes! I have a fire plan. It consist of me grabbing my child, the dog, the cat, and everything else I can get a hold of, putting it in my car in the garage, and driving away.)

I started to get Alyse dressed and was grabbing things when Josh walked by the back door on his way to the garage to get our hose.

He stopped and asked, "What are you doing?"
I yelled, "Getting Alyse dressed and packing! We have a fire plan!"
He just rolled his eyes at me and told me that he didn't think that was necessary.

I started to calm myself down again and then watched him as he continued to get together hoses from the neighbors, and jump into action. (I also called my friend Joy because I needed someone to talk to!)

Soon 3 firetrucks showed up and the firemen started to get to work.
It did not take long and soon the flames were gone and everything was wet and smokey.
The firemen stayed around for a little while, and now everything is fine.
There is a lot of ashes and burnt grass and trees, but nothing was seriously damaged.

Here are some pictures of the backyard (well, actually that is my neighbor's backyard) and my hero, Josh! They aren't the best because you know I wasn't going out there!






13 comments:

Ang said...

OH my goodness!! How scary! I would have freaked out, too...I loved your fire plan :)-Im sure mine would be similar! Glad you are all safe! Praise God!!

Jill Pagels said...

Sooooo glad everyone is okay! Do they know what caused it? I would have freaked out, wow!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! That's scary. Everything about that story would have been exactly the same with my & my Hubby except the fact that I would have freaked out much worse!

Great thinking on the fire plan! :)

Durham Gardener said...

I'm so glad you're all safe. Did Alyse have anything to say about the firemen?

Because of Love said...

They don't know how it started.
Alyse just stood at the back door watching everything. The dog started to cry a little bit because of the people running around, so she was hugging him saying, "Ok Zeke!" over and over. The she would point at Josh and say "Josh" or "Daddy". She liked the firetrucks but really I think she was just entertained by me running around the house like crazy.

Jeanette said...

I just saw you facebook status so I knew you'd have an update about the fire here on your blog. What a scarey event! So glad everyone is ok and it didn't spread to any of the houses! Maybe it spread so quickly because of all the wind today? So crazy!!!

Becca said...

Oh Gosh! That is so scary! I would be packing up just like you were and hubby would be rolling his eyes just like Josh was! I am glad that everything is okay and that they were able to put it out!!

Faith said...

Oh my word! I am so glad that everything is okay and the damage was kept to a minimum. And, great thinking on the fire plan!

mrs. fuzz said...

I would be freaking out for sure! Now I want to have a fire plan for just in case. Maybe it's time to put all of our important documents in a fire proof box. I hear a lot of people say to do that. I'm curious what you started grabbing first. Photo albums?

Hccm said...

Today is a very big day in the Where’s Wenda? Contest. I am visiting all of the SITS followers. Can I do it? There are around 1000 followers. Oh my! Better grab my cup of coffee and get on my way. Be sure to visit Hot Chocolate Caramel Mocha and Three Bay B Chicks as part of your contest entry. -Wenda

BTW-Happy that your family is safe. A fire plan is always a good idea.

Lisa said...

Glad to hear everything was able to be controlled and contained pretty easy. It was about a year ago that our neighbor's house caught fire and I remember that sick feeling of knowing there is nothing you can do and trust the fire department to do their job. Praise God that everything was contained to the back yard and not the houses.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are all ok!
I like the idea of a fire plan.
I have to ask why he got his gun?

Because of Love said...

For our fire plan, yes, we do have a safe box that has all our important papers in it. We also have a drawer that has all of our picture cds and videos of Alyse together for easy grabbing. We also have a backup for our computer that has all our other pictures on it.

I hadn't really done very much "packing" before Josh told me to stop. I had only gone to the picture cd and video drawer and to Alyse's room to grab her some clothes and her taggie, "tassy", and elephants. Then I put the laptop, my camera, my cell phone, and purse all in a pile. Next I would have headed to our closet to grab the papers and then the garage to get everthing in the car. Then I would have come in for anything else I could have grabbed. Probably some clothes for me first since I was in sweats. :)

The gun thing - well, as most of you know Josh is a police officer. The knock on the door was more of a banging! You could tell something was wrong.

He is always quick to jump into "police mode" plus he is prepared for the chance that someone who he may have arrested or was involved in a case with could follow him home/find out where he lives. He is just always prepared to protect our family. So, no this is not the first time he has answered our door with a gun in his hand. Sometimes I laugh at him because of this, but yesterday I was glad he grabbed his gun. The banging was scary!