Thursday, August 9, 2012

Olympic Fun


Josh and I are big Olympic fans. 
We have been looking forward to the Summer 2012 Olympics for a long time.
I wanted to get Alyse excited about the whole event and found a bunch of lessons and activities that we have been working on over the last few weeks. 

I found a great set of lessons (over 120 pages with tons of Kindergarten level math, writing, games, etc.) that was perfect for Alyse.  She has loved it and it has been great to get her ready for school.
(If you notice, there is some diving going on in the background.)


And of course we have done some crafts.

Making her own Olympic torch

Creating some medals

And some Olympic ring painting





Last night we participated in our 1st Family Olympics

(Alyse and I made "uniforms" with USA and our names on them to pin to our shirts.)

1st event - Synchronized swimming
(I think this was my favorite.)

Swimming

Basketball


Soccer
(We don't have a net or a soccer ball... We had to improvise)

Volleyball
(Again, there was a lack of equipment.)


Then it was time for Track and Field

Disc throwing

Running


We had to quickly do some cycling before rain started to fall.

Long Jump was moved indoors

Tennis
(On the Wii)

And of course gymnastics
(Breeley looked precious in her leotard!)




Finally was a medal ceremony

We ended the day watching The Pixie Hollow Games.  (It is a Tinkerbell special that was on awhile ago that is very similar to the Olympic theme.)

As we put them to bed Alyse said "Daddy, can you believe that I won a medal?!"  It made me smile.  She has also decided that she wants to go back to both gymnastics and swimming class. 
Josh told her maybe.  I think that it may be difficult to get her in right now.  I'm sure there are lots of other kids out there who have also been inspired to start going to classes.
I am so happy that our love for the Olympics has been successfully passed down.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Oh my gracious! What cute ideas!!! I love them in their leotards! Too sweet.

Unknown said...

You are the best mom ever! What great ideas! They looked tired after their games!

Kelly said...

This is such a cute idea!! I miss your posts and pictures of your sweet girls!