There have been many days over the last few months that Alyse and I have not got along so well. She has always been a very easy child, but we have been struggling lately. I knew something had to change because I hate being the mom that just fusses at her all the time. Plus, obviously all the fussing wasn't working. So, I had to come up with a new plan.
The main things that we have struggled with (along with a ton of other kids out there I'm sure) is:
1) Obeying
2) She complains, whines, argues, and makes a ton of excuses
3) Doing what she knows she is suppose to do. She likes to do what she wants to do.
I had pinned an idea on Pinterest about a complain jar where kids had a certain amount of money in a jar. Every time they complained money came out of the jar. Good idea, but that wasn't really what I was looking for. First, we already have an "allowance" that Alyse gets. She earns 5cents for different task/goals every week (putting away toys, dishes to the sink, putting clothes/shoes/bows where they belong, etc.) The other thing is she really doesn't get too excited about her money. She likes it but she is happy to let it sit in a jar. I guess she doesn't really get it yet. I knew taking money from her was not really going to hit home with her.
I still liked the idea and decided to tweak it a little and add to it.
The punishment that she likes the least is room time or going to bed early. I decided to find some verses that would help teach her to fix the 3 struggles from above.
1) "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right."
Ephesians 6:1
2) "Do everything without complaining or arguing"
Philippians 2:14
3) "Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right"
Proverbs 20:11
I put them each on a jar and then bought some marbles.
Alyse and I had a long talk about her behavior and I told her that there was going to be no more fussing at her. We read the verses together and I explained them to her. We talked about how she needs to obey, without complaining or arguing, and needs to do the right thing. I told her that if she does not do those things I was not going to fuss at her, instead I was going to tell her to put a marble in the pink, blue, or purple jar. Each marble means that she will go to bed 5mins early.
This is a new thing for us, but so far it has been working well.
Even me asking her "Alyse, do you need to put a marble in the jar?" reminds her and she fixes her little attitude pretty fast.
Hopefully this will work, at least for a little while.
(Oh, and these are also going to be her next 3 memory verses. She has heard them all her life but now I think is time they are in her ears, head, lips, and her heart.)
2 comments:
I like that idea!!
I specifically remember a time when I was complaining and grumbling to my mom when I was little. She finally had enough of it and made me sit down with our Bible story book and Bible and read what happened to the Israelites when they grumbled and complained. It fixed my attitude and I STILL remember that lesson she taught me :)
I need this! We are needing to do the same thing with Molly. Especially right now we have a lot of complaining and laziness going on, and sibling rivalry! Hope the marbles work for your little miss!
Post a Comment