Friday, January 13, 2012

My eyes! The Case of the Contacts!

Are you ready for my crazy contacts story?

I had not had new glasses since the summer before I went to college.  Since that was awhile ago.... I told Josh that I really thought it was time that I got some new ones.  I wear my contacts 90 percent of the time so I didn't really want to pay a lot for new glasses.  Long story short I went to this place that is kinda like a walk in clinic for glasses.  My girls were with my parents so the thought of me making a fast appointment and taking care of getting glasses cheap was great.  Then I knew I could still use our eye insurance to get me new contacts.  Great idea!

So Monday I went to go pick up these new glasses:

Before I left the guy asked me if I also wanted contacts.  I told him no.  (I was planning on going to my normal eye Dr to get my contacts.)  He kept asking me if I was sure because I could get contacts for so much cheaper and they could be sent to my house....  I again told him no because I wear hard contacts.  Then he told me I should really try soft contacts because they were so much better for me and did a whole sales talk.  Again I told him no, so he goes to a drawer pulls out some contacts and said "Here, I am going to give you some free trail lenses.  You wear these and will love them and I bet you will come back and order from me."  I took them and left.

Well, Wednesday I decided to try out these new contacts.  They were fine all day.  In the middle of the revival service that night my eyes started hurting.  Afterwards everyone kept asking me if I was ok because my eyes were red.  I told them I was tired and they were new contacts and I guess I wore them too long.  By the time I had to drive home I had to have a little prayer meeting of my own with God to please get me home safely because my eyes were killing me!  I actually had to drive to a friends house to drop something off and to pick up Josh who had driven a car home for them.  When Josh got into the car I was crying and said "Get them out!!! Get them out of my eyes!!!!"  I could not do it myself so in the car in front of our friend's house Josh had to pry my eyes open and take them out for me.

All night long I kept waking up with a shooting pain in my right eye.  It felt like someone was stabbing me.  The next morning Josh called our normal eye Dr and got me an appointment because I knew something was wrong.  My parents were in town for the Revival so they took care of the girls and took me to my appointment.

Basically I was allergic to those stupid contacts.  The fit was also wrong.  They (sorry this is kinda gross) burnt the white part of my right eye and then it blistered over.  I have 4 eye drops a day I have to take and I can't wear any contacts for 2 weeks.  I also have had to sit in darkness for 48 hours and he suggested an eye mask.  I have broke the rules and have done some texting, watched the revival, blogged, and watch a little tv, but for the most part it has been me sitting in my bed.  I can't really see very much anyway.  My eye is swollen shut and isn't very pretty.

My normal eye Dr also told me that the place I went to is actually being investigated by the State Medical Board and they are building a case to shut them down because of poor standards and malpractice.  He said it is against the law for them to just hand out contacts without seeing them on my eye to make sure they fit, are correct prescription, and they adapt to my eye.  Lovely!

Oh, and that whole saving money thing.  Yeah, not so much.  Now I have to pay for a number of other Dr appointments and prescriptions.

So, if you need me I will be here in bed for one more day.  And when you see me I will be wearing my glasses. Please try to ignore my scary eye.


1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness!! This made my eyes tear up just thinking about them burning! Yikes!

Hope they heal quickly!