Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trying to Clip and Save

Yesterday I put two girls in a shopping cart, grabbed my new white binder and hit "The Teeter".
 (Harris Teeter - a grocery store for those of you not from NC/SC.) 
It was my 1st time trying to seriously do this whole coupon thing.  I think I did pretty well.



Yep, I saved $34. 

I also learned a few lessons.

1 - A number of things that I had on my list were sold out.  I guess I am slow.  (I know the deals are Wed-Tue so I guess Monday is a little late in the game.)

2 - There isn't a ton of coupons for healthy food.  There were a few things on sale with my VIC card, so that helped but I am not going to fall in the trap of buying junk food just because I can get a deal on it.

3 - For some reason I saved coupons... when I got home I realized that I could have used some coupons that I had doubles of.  At 1st I wasn't using them because there is a 20 coupon limit, but because of things sold out, I could have pulled out some of my other coupons and used those.  Not sure why I didn't think about it at the time.

4 - I thought I was pretty organized, but I think I may have to put a better list and shopping plan together before I get there.  I kinda felt like I was wondering a little today and then I forgot 2 things that I didn't have coupons for.  I guess I just skipped over them.

5 - I know that a lot of couponers say that you save a lot of money with stockpiling, but I am not sure if I am going to get too much into that.  We don't have the room, plus I really don't want to be spending money on things that I won't be using.  I think for us it is better to not spend the money.  I may get some extra paper towels, toilet paper, etc... but I'm not sure about stocking up on random things.

All in all I think it was a success.
$34 saved is a pretty good start.
Wish I could take that and go buy myself or the girls something, but I guess that kinda defeats the point, huh?

6 comments:

Lyryn said...

34 is good! I wish I was better at it.

Sarah Robbins said...

Great job! Seriously, that is awesome for your first week! You will get the hang of it and find a system that works for you.

I only stockpile on toiletries because they don't always have good deals on the things I like when I need them. I have one container in the linen closet where I store all the extra toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, soap and razors. If I can get them for free after coupons, I go ahead and "buy" them to save. Other than that, I agree- I don't stockpile and I rarely coupon for food because it is mostly things we don't choose to eat. . .

You will find what works best for your family for saving money, though.

dawn said...

i have often tried to do this couponing thing. but like you i agree - there are no coupons for healthy foods and that is what we try to eat most, we try to stay away from the junk. we don't have much room either to stock up on a bunch of snacks and other stuff we dont need to eat. wish there was a way to save lots of money on fresh foods!!! good job for giving it a try!!!!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Good for you! I'm so with you why do they not have coupons for the healthy stuff. I buy a lot of our tolietries thru alice or soap.com because they already add the coupons..helps me remember that way.

Unknown said...

I am awful at couponing! I am trying to be better, but sometimes all the organizing and lists stress me out! Great job!!

Kelly said...

Great job, girl! Did you get rain checks for the out of stock items? I've never been to Harris Teeter, but every store I shop at gives rain checks so you can get the deal the next time you go and use the coupon too.
I agree about stock piling and about the junk food!