Friday, January 14, 2011

Parenting With Scripture

Being a parent.... I've learned that it is so much more than just taking care of a baby or child.  I remember that when I first had Alyse, I thought that things were going really well.  (Of course, Alyse was a really easy baby.)  The older she has gotten, the more I wished that we really did have a handbook on how to raise children. 

Of course we do have a handbook on how to raise our children. It's called the Bible.  But if you are like me, sometimes in parenting moments you need a "cliff notes for parents version".  I mean the whole thing is good, but when Alyse is fussing and the 1st thing I open up to is names of generations of men, or rules on how to build the Tabernacle, I feel like I need a little help. 

One thing that I really want to do is memorize some scripture that I can use to help in parenting the girls.  So when Alyse says "Why?" I can give her a reason.  Or when she is, for example, complaining I can quote "Do everything without complaining and arguing...". But sometimes I am at a loss of words.  I know that "there is a verse about that" but what it says, or where it is found, can sometimes leave me frustrated.  So, I've been working on that a lot lately.

I also just found this book, that I am loving.



It isn't a book that you read chapter by chapter.  It is set up A-Z on topics that you most likely will address with your children (Anger, Complaining, Fairness, Laziness, Respect, Sharing, Trust, Worry....).  For each topic it gives a list of verses that relate to the topic and then gives discussion questions, action steps, an other tips and ideas to help instill Godly principles.

I just got it a few days ago, but it really was exactly what I was looking for.  Right now it is sitting on my kitchen counter for easy access, not far from our time out spot, waiting for the moment I know that a verse will be needed.


3 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

You might also like Wise Words for Moms by Ginger Plowman. It's a little pamphlet to hang on your refrigerator that has scriptures for early discipline issue and "put on/putoff" behaviors to help kids. I LOVE it- and it was only like $3 on Amazon.

Rebecca said...

thanks for sharing about the books. I've read a lot but not seen this parenting one. $3 is a GREAT price!

Because of Love said...

Sarah - I actually do have that Wise Words somewhere in this house. I bought awhile ago and don't know what happened to it! I've been looking for it and can't find it anywhere. I'm thinking I am just going to break down and buy another one.