Monday, October 25, 2010

State Fair

Our state fair is a great state fair.
Don't miss it.  Don't even be late....

That song (from the musical State Fair) is what I thought of when Josh and I started thinking about going to the NC State Fair in Raleigh this weekend. (And I did watch both versions of the film, 1945 and 1962 to prepare myself for the day!)

Josh thought about food.... and rides, and his childhood.
He went to the fair every year until the year that we were married.
In his hometown the fair is a huge deal.  Every year they even have "Fair Day" where there is no school.
So, he was all for the idea of taking Alyse for her first fair experience.

We made our way to my parents house, put some overalls on the girls, and headed out.

The first thing that Alyse was excited about was riding a bus.  (We parked and rode the shuttle bus in because traffic was crazy!)  Alyse has wanted to ride a bus all of her short little life.  She tells me all the time that she really wants to ride a bus to school.  Just look at how happy she was:

Once we actually got to the fair she was super excited about all the games and rides, but she decided that she wanted to go see all the animals first (after Josh stopped for some cotton candy.)



Then it was time to play some games. 





After that she rode some rides.




Finally Josh got to eat some of the fair food that he was so excited about.
He loved every bite of his Italian sausage with peppers, elephant ear, cotton candy, fried oreos (which I did take one bite of.  If you have never had one, imagine a powdered doughnut with an oreo in the middle), and cheesecake dipped in chocolate.


Before we went home Alyse said that her last ride she wanted to go on was the ferris wheel. Josh and her stood in line for almost an hour and a half.  Right before it was their turn, guess who fell asleep? 

So, guess who had to step in to ride with Josh.... Yes, me, aka-the one who is scared to death of heights and scary fair rides!  Josh loved it.  Me, not so much.  However I didn't see much of it because most of the time I was sitting covering my eyes.
(Not the best pic... but I was scared to death and exhausted after a long day!)


It was a long day, but we all had fun.
Breeley and I had a great time hanging out.

And these two were very happy fair goers!


3 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

You were right down the street from me! We almost went to the fair on Saturday, too, but we were afraid of how crowded it would be. Looks like you guys had so much fun, though! We should have tried it.

Unknown said...

What a fun day!

Natalie said...

I can relate all too well, only our State Fair was over a month ago since it gets so cold so quickly here. Chris helped work security there so we were able to get in for free (while I was a single mommy for nearly a week and a half with three little ones...whew!)

I absolutely love your pictures, and was Breeley in an Ergo carrier?! I LOVE Ergo!!!! When we hosted the International Babywearing Conference this past June, they were one of the main sponsors and are an incredible bunch of ladies! I love my Ergo and Liam is almost big enough for it; I've toted my toddler around in it all the time, but on my back.

Looks like it was a great day for everyone!