Thursday, September 2, 2010

School Time

Back in the spring Josh and I started to talk about the whole topic of Alyse and school. 

Part of me was thinking that she was just a baby and there was no way she was ready to go off to be a "school kid"!  But then I also realized that most of her friends were going to Mother's Morning Out or pre-school....

At first I got excited and was ready to go buy her a new book bag with new supplies and a new outfit to wear to go to school this fall.  But then I realized that I was already behind because a number of preschool had opened their enrollment in like January/February and at one of those schools I heard rumor of people lining up at 4am to make sure they got their child in. 

After feeling like a loser mom for awhile, I knew that I really needed to research things and pray because this decision needed to be made soon!

Fast forward past a lot of thinking, praying, talking, pro-con list making, crying, stressing, mind changing, and school visits....

We have decided to keep Alyse home for one more year and start pre-school next year when she is 4.

I really have gone back and forth about this decision.  It finally got down to these few points:
- I quit teaching so I could be at home with my babies
- I want to keep my baby home as long as I can. There really is no reason to rush her into being a big kid.
- $ School is expensive.  If we can save a year of tuition, that would help us to be able to pay for her education (if we choose private school) in the future.
- I can teach her myself!  I have an education degree and license.  I can use it on my own child.

Yes, that is right.  We are going to "home school" this year.
Sorta....

Alyse and I are going to do school together 3 days a week.

These are some of our goals
- know/writing the whole alphabet and her name
- Count and know her numbers 0-30
- know season and months.  (We will do calendar/weather time each day)
- know shapes and colors (She actually knows most of these already, but we will continue working on them.)
- we are going to have Bible time everyday.  I have a devotional book to go through but I also want to work on some key Biblical principles (such as the Fruit of the Spirit).  We are also going to work on scripture memory.  I have a goal of her being able to quote 10+ verses all by herself.
- Crafts! Alyse loves crafts.  I would like to do one every other week.  I am thinking lots of cute seasonal things.
- "Specials" : I have something plan for Alyse and I 4 days a week.  (Swim class, Dance class, Bible Study, Storytime)  Of course 3 of those are fun things for her to do.  I think me going to Bible Study will be fun for her too because she will be going to child care and will hopefully have a great social/play time.  I would also like to do a play date with friends.

As this year goes on I might change things around a little, but I am excited to start our "school year". 
I've already started planning.  We will start Sept 20th (after we get back from the beach.)
And I've got a bunch of books and supplies.

(This is a dangerous area for me.... I get a little too excited in a teacher's store!)

Yes, I bought myself a teacher's plan book...

I think this is going to fun for both of us!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is exactly what we are doing too! I have been back and forth a while, but its just been so clear to me lately (thank you Lord!) that I can do a lot at home and offer Molly more, too. Plus, with a new baby coming, I have no clue what life will be like and I don't want to feel overwhelmed with carpool lanes, nap schedules, etc. Looks like you have a lot of neat things for Alyse!

Joy said...

Enjoy each and everyday!! It goes so fast...all too soon you will be wanting this time back:) I will never forget our Bible time each morning and what a joy it was to watch my children grow in their faith. Those are priceless moments that I will cherish forever!!!

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Stephanie, you would probably think I'm crazy. My kids went to school at 2! Alex is in the 5 day preschool program, but in my defense, he will be 5 in December. He needs to go to get ready for next year.

I am a 5 day 3's preschool teacher. I wanted to share an idea with you. Each month, we have a color, and a shape. We build our curriculum around that. September is red, and the shape is a circle. We also do alot of 'apple' activities in Sept. example: cut out a red, green, and a yellow apple. Make a chart, and have Alyse ask you, Josh, your parents, sister....etc what their favorite color apple is, and tally them up. It's a fun activity!

Handcuffed Heart said...

Watch out..... start "homeschooling" now and you may never quit. We loooove it, especially with a cop dad on a crazy schedule! :)