Friday afternoon there was a knock at my door.
I normally don't answer the door unless I am expecting someone, but I actually was expecting someone so I went and opened it.
Standing there was a man that I was not expecting.
He started telling me this story about how he was starting a carpet cleaning business and asked where the high traffic part of our house was.
I answered "Our bedroom or family room". He then said "well, why don't I come in and have a look at it." He took a step to walk into our house and I looked passed him and noticed there was no car/van, no carpet cleaning equipment, no bag, no flyer, NOTHING! Plus I was kinda surprised he tried to walk right into my house.
I stopped him by pulling Alyse towards me and closing the door most of the way and said, "Um, no, not today." He then started to try to convince me and said that it would only take a few minutes and he would give me a free cleaning. I told him no thank you.
After a few more minutes of him trying to convince me, he gave up and walked away. I watched him walk down my driveway and then he stopped and watched me as I closed and locked the door.
I called Josh and told him what happened and he had me do a whole suspect description for him and then he called the Sheriff's dept that patrols our area to make them aware of a suspicious person.
It was really odd. It didn't really scare me, it really just surprised me.
It also made me think of this forwarded email that I have read. Some of these points I am sure you have heard before, but I thought it might be a good reminder for ya'll.
ADVICE FROM A BURGLAR
1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week
cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new
refrigerator.
2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in
your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window
to make my return a little easier.
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste
means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave
out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And
I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it
takes you to remove it.
5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car
and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a
dead giveaway.
6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your
alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set.
That makes it too easy.
7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the
windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom --
and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there
too.
8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to
lock your door-understandable . But understand this: I don't take a
day off because of bad weather.
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions
somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)
10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always
check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.
11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.
12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe
where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take
it with me.
13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm
system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of
town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the
flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com .)
MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:
1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy
and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.
2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If
your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and
wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back
to what he was doing. It's human nature.
4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a
fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're
home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive
or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the
blinds, just to pick my targets.
6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page,Twitter, Blog. It's easier
than you think to look up your address.
7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a
way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.
8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I
hit the jackpot and walk right in.
A few little tips from me:
Josh tells me to always answer the door with a phone in my hand. If I need to call for help it is right there.
When I go to my car I always find my car keys inside the store or wherever I am leaving. Digging around in a purse to find them to unlock the door is a huge distraction and you aren't aware of what is going on around you.
I never leave my driveway without making sure that my garage door has actually closed. You never know if a cobweb, toy, random flyer, etc is in the way and will make it go back up as you drive away unknowingly. (I am actually obsessed with this! One day I thought the garage was down and returned to find that it was open. I had been gone for hours. It scared me to death. Nothing was gone, but the thought that anyone could have walked right into my house freaked me out. I also got in big trouble with Josh. Now it is not an odd thing for me to turn around while I am almost out of my neighborhood to go back to my street to make sure that my garage door is still closed.)
_______________________________________
On a somewhat similar note, Josh walked into our bedroom as I was feeding Breeley yesterday and said "So, your Dad got robbed." I laughed. (The way he walked in and just said it matter of fact made me think we was joking. It sounded like he was talking about a sports event - as in "He got robbed!"). He said, "I'm serious!" and then told me that my parents called and asked if they thought my Dad should call and report it. Long story made short - my Dad was in his office at their church before service yesterday. (He is the Lead Pastor at a smaller church in the Raleigh/Durham area.) I guess a very ill kept woman came into his office and told him she needed money. He explained that the church did not have any cash to give her, but she insisted that she needed money right then. She then lifted the corner of her shirt and showed him that she had a gun. He opened his wallet and gave her all that he had (a big $4). She then left.
The funniest part about the story is that Dad just went on with his normal Sunday. He didn't even tell my mom about it until hours later. He told her he "kinda forgot about it." And yes, Josh told him that he did need to report it, even if it was $4.
So how was your weekend?
I hope no one tried to break in your house or rob you!
I normally don't answer the door unless I am expecting someone, but I actually was expecting someone so I went and opened it.
Standing there was a man that I was not expecting.
He started telling me this story about how he was starting a carpet cleaning business and asked where the high traffic part of our house was.
I answered "Our bedroom or family room". He then said "well, why don't I come in and have a look at it." He took a step to walk into our house and I looked passed him and noticed there was no car/van, no carpet cleaning equipment, no bag, no flyer, NOTHING! Plus I was kinda surprised he tried to walk right into my house.
I stopped him by pulling Alyse towards me and closing the door most of the way and said, "Um, no, not today." He then started to try to convince me and said that it would only take a few minutes and he would give me a free cleaning. I told him no thank you.
After a few more minutes of him trying to convince me, he gave up and walked away. I watched him walk down my driveway and then he stopped and watched me as I closed and locked the door.
I called Josh and told him what happened and he had me do a whole suspect description for him and then he called the Sheriff's dept that patrols our area to make them aware of a suspicious person.
It was really odd. It didn't really scare me, it really just surprised me.
It also made me think of this forwarded email that I have read. Some of these points I am sure you have heard before, but I thought it might be a good reminder for ya'll.
ADVICE FROM A BURGLAR
1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week
cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new
refrigerator.
2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in
your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window
to make my return a little easier.
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste
means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave
out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And
I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it
takes you to remove it.
5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car
and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a
dead giveaway.
6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your
alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set.
That makes it too easy.
7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the
windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom --
and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there
too.
8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to
lock your door-understandable . But understand this: I don't take a
day off because of bad weather.
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions
somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)
10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always
check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.
11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.
12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe
where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take
it with me.
13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm
system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of
town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the
flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com .)
MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:
1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy
and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.
2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If
your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and
wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back
to what he was doing. It's human nature.
4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a
fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're
home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive
or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the
blinds, just to pick my targets.
6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page,Twitter, Blog. It's easier
than you think to look up your address.
7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a
way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.
8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I
hit the jackpot and walk right in.
A few little tips from me:
Josh tells me to always answer the door with a phone in my hand. If I need to call for help it is right there.
When I go to my car I always find my car keys inside the store or wherever I am leaving. Digging around in a purse to find them to unlock the door is a huge distraction and you aren't aware of what is going on around you.
I never leave my driveway without making sure that my garage door has actually closed. You never know if a cobweb, toy, random flyer, etc is in the way and will make it go back up as you drive away unknowingly. (I am actually obsessed with this! One day I thought the garage was down and returned to find that it was open. I had been gone for hours. It scared me to death. Nothing was gone, but the thought that anyone could have walked right into my house freaked me out. I also got in big trouble with Josh. Now it is not an odd thing for me to turn around while I am almost out of my neighborhood to go back to my street to make sure that my garage door is still closed.)
_______________________________________
On a somewhat similar note, Josh walked into our bedroom as I was feeding Breeley yesterday and said "So, your Dad got robbed." I laughed. (The way he walked in and just said it matter of fact made me think we was joking. It sounded like he was talking about a sports event - as in "He got robbed!"). He said, "I'm serious!" and then told me that my parents called and asked if they thought my Dad should call and report it. Long story made short - my Dad was in his office at their church before service yesterday. (He is the Lead Pastor at a smaller church in the Raleigh/Durham area.) I guess a very ill kept woman came into his office and told him she needed money. He explained that the church did not have any cash to give her, but she insisted that she needed money right then. She then lifted the corner of her shirt and showed him that she had a gun. He opened his wallet and gave her all that he had (a big $4). She then left.
The funniest part about the story is that Dad just went on with his normal Sunday. He didn't even tell my mom about it until hours later. He told her he "kinda forgot about it." And yes, Josh told him that he did need to report it, even if it was $4.
So how was your weekend?
I hope no one tried to break in your house or rob you!
3 comments:
Those are some scary reminders. I do the exact same thing with the garage door- even going back to check.
Where is your dad a pastor? We live in Raleigh now! We found a church we think we like, but just in case!
One night a few weeks ago I ran out to Target after the kiddos were in bed (Daddy was home, for once). As I was pulling out of the parking lot I noticed a pickup behind me...and it stayed behind me. Even turned down the same back road I take to avoid a light. I ended up turning a couple streets before our house...I just didn't feel comfortable turning into my driveway with him still behind me. When I turned he went straight. Two minutes added to my drive home. My peace of mind was worth it!
And no one--NO ONE--comes into our house if it's just me and the kiddos. I rarely ever even answer the door. And when someone is in the house, the back door is unlocked so I can get out in a hurry if need be. I was already at this level of paranoid before I even met my husband! :)
Stephanie! This scared me while I was reading it! I'm so glad that you were alert and aware and shut the door! It could've been worse than a robbery! I can't believe that he was just going to invite himself on in! Okay. My heart is slowing down now. So glad you are safe.
Post a Comment