Thursday, July 15, 2010

Family Dinner

Because of Josh's schedule we do not get to eat dinner as a family every night.  We try to work it out that we have dinner together at least once a week.

The other night we were lucky enough to sit down as a family.  As I was getting every one's plates ready this is the conversation that I stopped to ease drop on.

Alyse: Daddy, did you have a good day at work?

Josh: (a little surprised...)  Yes, Alyse I did have a good day at work.

Alyse: What did you do today?

Josh: Well, I watched a man at a hotel for a little while, then we arrested him.  Later I had a meeting and worked at the office for awhile.  What did you do today, Alyse?

Alyse: Well, I watch Max and Ruby and played.  Then I went to swimming and then Mommy, Breeley and me had lunch with my friends.  Then I took a rest.  Mommy did laundry and gave Breeley milk and was on her computer.  And she played her game. (For some reason that is what she calls it when I work out... Not really sure why.)  Now she is making dinner.  Look! Mommy made chicken and beans.  I like beans.

Josh: Wow, it sounds like you had a busy day!

Alyse: Yes.  Daddy, I missed you.  Why you go to work?

Josh: I miss you, Breeley, and Mommy too, but I have to go to work.

Alyse:  I love you, Daddy

Josh:  I love you to baby!

It was the sweetest little conversation.  It was one of those moments as a mother that you melt because you love your child (and husband) so much.  I also realized how big my baby girl is getting.  We are going to have to cherish each one of our family dinners because she is growing up way too fast!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

What a wonderful little memory to come back to your blog after my "maternity leave" of blogging while adjusting to life with three kiddies.

I know what you mean about how full it makes your heart to hear conversations between your child and husband. My 4 year old son's usually consists of army games right now, so it's a bit more testoterone driven of a conversation since apparently it's not cool to talk army stuff with Mama. Go figure!

Natalie said...

P.S. Love your blog's new look since I last visited!

Unknown said...

So sweet!!