Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Straw-buh-buh-buh-buh-berry, Strawberry Shortcake!

A few years ago, when I was teaching, one of my students gave me a little cookbook that she had created with some of her favorite recipes. It was actually one of my favorite gifts that I ever received from one of my kids, and if anyone is thinking of a great idea of a cheap gift for one of your children's teachers, I would so suggest that you steal the idea. Some of the recipes made me smile because I thought it was precious that she wrote out how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and make pink lemonade using Crystal Light. :) However, there are a couple of really great recipes in there that I have made many times.

One of the recipes that I have started to make was a pound cake recipe.

Josh's favorite dessert is strawberry shortcake. He loves it! He actually wanted it to be what we ate for our cake at our wedding. (We had a traditional cake, but we did have the ice cream sunday bar that he really wanted - ice cream is also one of his favorite things in the whole world.)

For a long time I used this recipe that my mom use to make and my friend Holly makes. But I have started to use this pound cake recipe too.

POUND CAKE

Preheat oven to 325*

Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1 and 1/2 cup milk
1 stick of butter.

Mix all ingredients and pour into pan. (I use a bunt pan.)
Bake for 45 minutes. (Mine always takes longer - closer to an hour.)

While the cake is baking, I get my strawberries all ready.
I wash 'em, slice 'em, and add 3/4 or 1 cup of brown sugar.
(Cause we are super healthy.)
Then I set them in the fridge and let them get nice and juicy.

Once the cake is cooled, I am sure you can figure out that I cut it, pour on some strawberries, and then I personally load it up with whipped cream. So, so yummy!

Alyse and I actually made the cake this afternoon.

The strawberries are ready in the fridge.
We are just waiting for dessert time tonight to dig in!

(Oh, and the title is evidence that I'm the mommy of a 3 year old girl ,who always gets the song from the cartoon stuck in my head when I think about strawberry shortcake.)


5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the recipe ~ delish!

dawn said...

oh my goodness, i saw this recipe this afternoon and had all the ingredients on hand (except the cool whip, which jamil picked up on the way home!)so i decided to make it for dessert tonight. oh my that cake is sooooo yummy!! everyone ate it up and jamil and i are planning to have seconds once the kids are settled in bed :) no seconds for them - to much sugar ;)

thanks for sharing it!!!

Kelly said...

That sounds like a super easy recipe! Thanks for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! Sadly though I wont be making it {dang diet} :( BTW I want your mixer :))

Natalie said...

Yum! My hubby's family always makes strawberry shortcake, but I prefer poundcake, so I'll have to try this recipe out. Thanks!