Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Great Flood

It all started when I took Alyse to the potty.
She told me she wanted me to read her a few books so I got her all set sitting on the potty and then walked right down the hall to her room and grabbed her a few books to read.
When I returned I sat down on the floor to read to her.
I noticed that my pants were wet.
Then I saw this puddle on the floor.
My first reaction was "Alyse, did you go potty on the floor?"
Alyse "No, Mommy. I not make mess."
I thought about it for a second and knew that it would be rather difficult for her to get down off the potty, pee on the floor, and then get herself back onto the potty in the 20 seconds it took me to walk to her room and back.

I grabbed a towel and threw it on the floor to soak up the mess, but then I noticed that it was not a small puddle. I started pulling the baskets in our bathroom up off the floor that hold towels and Alyse's bath toys and saw the puddle was huge. I started checking all the places where water could come from in the bathroom. The base of the toilet, under the sink, the shower, the tub - no rushing or even dripping water, just a huge big puddle. I started grabbing towel after towel and put them all over the floor.

I didn't know what was going on, and by this time my pants were soaking wet, so I walked into our closet to change. As I stepped onto the carpet, it was squishy.

So I called Josh.

I tried to explain the puddle to him, and he kept asking me question after question and telling me to check this and that. Somewhere in the conversation I told him that I had started some laundry. He told me to go check the washing machine. I walked out of the room and down the hallway to the laundry room. Squishy carpet again. When I opened the door to the laundry I heard the water. I looked at the washing machine that had water pouring out of it. The whole floor was covered in water.

I didn't really know what to do!
I ran to the washer and turned it off and started to explain to Josh how much water was on the floor.
He says "Do you need me to come home?"
Me: "Um.. YES!!!!"

I again went on the search for more towels, but none could be found, plus they were not making even a small dent in the cleaning up process! So I started pulling up everything off the floor that I could and waited for Josh to come to my rescue.

He arrived as fast as he could would a Rug Doctor. For the next few hours I was using that to suck up all the water and Josh was soaking up as much as he could with his shop vac. I am sitting now with the glorious back ground sound of a huge fan on the floor.

Looking on the bright side, it was a great day for spring cleaning/nesting. I have the cleanest floors now! I also threw out stuff and organized my bathroom, 2 closets, and the laundry room.

And I told Josh that I am never doing laundry ever again!

3 comments:

~*~ Allison ~*~ said...

I totally thought your water broke when I started reading this.... Hahahaha!! I know it would be too early, but still...

Thanks for the chuckle today.

Many blessings,
Allison

Natalie said...

I'm so sorry! Sounds like you're looking at the silver linings, which is exactly what I did when our sewer flooded RIGHT before we moved in.

Fortunately, it was the day BEFORE the carpet was laid in the basement and not the day after. Plus, it was clean sewer water (if that even exists).

We were given a shop vac for a housewarming present from one of Chris's friends, and that's been the best gift we've ever been given! Well-used in that instance as well as when our washer freaked out and flooded too, but it wasn't as bad as yours. Good luck with future washings (especially if Josh does them...that's how my cell phone got washed)

Unknown said...

Oh my word! I am so sorry you had to deal with that!! But you are right, at least you have a clean house now!