Friday, February 26, 2010

Let's Get This Party Started

The party is just getting started at our house.
Starting tonight we will begin celebrating Miss Alyse Nicole's 3rd birthday.
(I just typed that my baby girl is turning 3! Can not believe that!!!!!)

We will begin with a small family party tonight.
(Yes, I will post pictures later.)

The celebration will end on Monday (her actual birthday, March 1st) when Daddy takes off work and we will have a special day just for her.

This birthday has actually been really hard on me. The mommy guilt has been difficult.
In my head I had this huge plan of a birthday party with all her little friends, presents that would compete with the isles of a toy store, new dresses, lots of cute crafts and handmade goodies made my me.... the list could go on and on of all my great ideas.
Then reality hit.

I realized all the time, money, and energy that I was planning on spending and started to question if it was really worth. I mean she is turning 3. She won't remember any of it. And she is happy to just sit on the couch and read a book, be tickled, and watch Max and Ruby.

Plus when I told Josh that my great birthday activity I had planned cost $300 not to mention the money I would spend on food, cake, decorations, invitations, her 5 birthday outfits, and those cute crafts, etc his face (and my shock when I added it all up) helped me make the decision that there would be no party this year.

Instead we are using that money to re-do her new big girl Princess bedroom and prepare for the gift of a little sister for her.

And I only bought 3 birthday outfits for her instead of the 5 that I had planned. :)
(I know, I know, but think of all that money that I told you I saved.)

Now I am off to love on my soon to be 3 year old, because she is growing up way too fast!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Good for you for showing restraint! It's so easy to make girl parties out of control, isn't it! My little princess will be 2 (can't believe it either) and we're pretty much finishing her room, getting her a few little gifts and calling it good.

Look forward to the birthday posts and Happy Birthday, Alyse!

Mindy said...

I <3 planning parties.....I really should've went into event planning --- but we have a rule at our house - you might have read this on my blog -- big "friend" parties when you turn 5,10, and 16. Other than that -- it's family and 1 friend only.....=)