Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Rest Of The Story

So I have a confession to make.
I actually found out that we were expecting a baby girl about a week and a half ago.
Friday, Dec 18th to be exact.

My doctor's office does normally do the ultra sound at the 20 week appointment, (I didn't lie!) but since I was 20 weeks on Christmas day, they asked if I wanted to come in the week before or the week after. I decided it would be fun to go in before but keep it a secret. Only a few people knew that I was going to the Dr that day. I didn't even tell my mom.

Actually, I didn't tell my mom on purpose. I decided that it would be fun to keep it a secret until Christmas Day. It was only a week later.

So on Christmas Day my mom and dad opened a little box that had a framed picture in it. (The picture was the same one as I put in the previous post.) At first my dad didn't get it, but my mom read it and was very surprised. It was a fun gift to give.

The actual ultrasound was a little long. Baby girl was a little modest and had her legs crossed at the ankles the whole time. The ultrasound tech actually told us that she was only 90% sure that it was a girl and that she would confirm it at our next appointment. She also wanted to check on the heart and some other things that she couldn't get a good measurement of. (No, there are no problems! The baby looks great.)

My favorite part of the ultrasound was that picture that I posted. If you look at it closely it is her little profile. The whole time she laid there, lounging across my belly, legs crossed, sucking on her little fingers. She seemed so comfy.

Alyse went with us to the appointment. She liked listening to the heart beat and seemed excited to see the baby on the screen. Right before the tech told us it was a girl, I asked Alyse if she thought the baby was a girl or a boy and she said "GIRL". Guess she was right.

We are very excited to be having another girl. But both of us are still a little surprised. A few people have asked if we are disappointed - absolutely not! We are so happy that God had blessed us with a healthy baby. It really didn't matter if it was a boy or girl.

We have started to make plans for a nursery. We are also thinking about things we will need - like a double stroller. We do have a lot of stuff from Alyse, but I am not going to pretend that I'm not going to go out and get some new things too. :)

My one big thing is a name. Right now we are calling her either Baby Girl or "Whatever her name is". I have found a few names that I like, but none that I have fallen in love with. Two of them are "B" names. But I've thought about it a lot, and I think it is more important that I LOVE a name that my daughter will have for the rest of her life than just like it because it starts with a "B". Honestly, I am open to suggestions!

Thanks so much for sharing in our excitement. We can't wait for you to "meet" our baby girl in May.

3 comments:

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Oh, I have boys so I am not the best Girl Name person but I do know that if I would have had a girl, her name would have been Mia. I just love that name. Simple, understated, classy. So, if you like it, it is all yours. And if not, I am sure that one of your B names will be BEAUTIFUL!

Joanie Richards said...

I found a few more "B" names that might work; Bella, Bailey, Blair, Brandi or Brooke. That's it for my two cents worth.

Natalie said...

That's actually pretty cute that you kept it a secret for a few extra days before sharing your news. Kind of makes it more personal, don't you think?

We brought our oldest to the ultrasound when we found out we were having a girl with our second child, but he was so interested in all the equipment that Chris didn't get anything out of the appointment.

We'll be going just as couple when the time comes in a few months from now so we can both actually enjoy ourselves (they'll give us a copy of the ultrasound which we'll show to the kiddies and family members later).

I'm SO excited for you!