I was starting my first week as a Junior in college.
I was in my bathroom that I shared with 3 other girls doing my make-up.
One of those girls said, "Steph, come watch this. You have to see it."
"Hold on. Be there in a minute."
"No, come now. Oh my god, come now!"
I walked in to see that I had just missed a 2nd plane flying into the World Trade Center.
The day was full of classes where nothing was really on topic, lots of people crowded into our small apartment watch the news, worry, sadness, confusion...
All day I felt like I was watching a movie.
8 years later
I kinda have a different opinion of that day.
One night, not to long ago, somehow Josh and I got into a serious discussion about his job. I don't remember how it started. I really don't remember how it ended. I just remember that somewhere in that conversation I said something about September 11th.
I looked at Josh and said, "If something like that happened here, or say that you were there then, you would have run right into one of those buildings, wouldn't you?"
He said, "Yes, I would"
And I knew in my heart that there was no questioning of that statement.
It wasn't just a "what if" thing. It was a "no doubt" thing.
I looked in his eyes and knew that he wasn't just saying it. He really meant it.
I hope that a day like that will never happen again.
I also hope that it would never happen in Charlotte.
But if it does, I know that my police officer will be running to the scene.
The thought of that...
Well, it kinda brings me to a loss of words.
Where were you on that day?
2 comments:
I am so thankful for men like your hubby. I know it is scary to think about that, though. Hope you have a good day!
I too was getting ready for school my Junior year. That whole week felt fuzzy, like I was walking in a nightmare because all that I held safe and secure was no longer that way. I remember talking to my hubby (we were dating at that time) that if this event lead to another world war, I wanted to marry him before he left because I knew he would sign up. I didn't even think of the possibility that he'd become a police officer at that time.
Now that we're married with two children and he's an officer, I KNOW that he would do his job. For that reason I can't watch the movies they've made about this event in history. It hits too close to home still.
Good post, even if it brings the emotions to the surface of how dangerous our hubby's jobs are!
Post a Comment