Friday, August 7, 2009

Something Sweet

*Before we start, let me say that I know that I haven't posted very much this week... I have been kinda busy. And every free minute really has been going towards B90x. I am hoping that next week I can get my act together a little more. Trust me, my DVR and blog have both been missed this week.

Over the past few weeks I have been obsessed with watching "cake shows" - The Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, The Food Network Challenge, Ultimate Cake Off

I have always found cake decorating fascinating! I remember being a little girl and my grandma decorating cakes. I always wanted to learn how to make beautiful cakes.

So, I started a new adventure this past week. I started to take a cake decorating class.

Let me tell you, it isn't as easy as it looks on those TV shows!
It took me hours to complete one simple little cake.
But I am pretty proud of it.
Want to see it?
Ok, here is my first cake:

It isn't big and fancy...but I worked hard on it.
(Remember, this is my first time using decorating tools. Hopefully practice will make things easier and prettier. If so I will share some more pictures another time.)

Now I am waiting for Josh to come home and eat it. (It is a chocolate devils food with butter cream icing, and a filling of icing with oreos. I think it should be pretty yummy.)

At first I was kinda sad that I worked so hard on it just to have it cut up, but now I need him to eat it for 3 reasons.
1 - I don't want to eat it cause I am trying to lose some extra "pregnancy" weight
2 - I want to start working on practice cake #2
(I have to make at least 6 more in the next 3 weeks.)
3 - I didn't have a cake plate big enough... so that clear plate underneath... that would be our microwave stand. We might need that soon...


If you are a friend or family member who lives near by, don't be surprised if I call you and tell you I made you a cake. And I promise it won't be on a microwave stand.

17 comments:

Holly Furtick said...

lol about the microwave plate. I have several cake plates if you would like to borrow one.

Kelly said...

This looks awesome! Great job for your first cake! I took a cake decorating class in high school. It definitely is WAY harder that it looks! Hope you continue having fun!

~*~ Allison ~*~ said...

Stephanie,

OMG! I think we may have been seperated at birth (man, that sounded psycho).

I've become obsessed with those shows too! I've even contemplated trying to learn to make cakes. Came up with my own bakery name (if I opened it with a sister or 2). I'm NUTS!

I went to high school with the guy from Cake Boss - actually, he graduated with my sister. Ace of Cakes is one of my favs. But I can't get enough of the challenges.

Your cake looks great & I'm sure it tasted even better.

Many blessings,
Allison

Kristin said...

That plate really made me laugh!! :)

Great job on the cake! It looks and sounds so good!! Cake tester sounds like a great job...you make them pretty and others get to eat it!!

Beth's Blog said...

The Cake looks great! :)

Alicia W. said...

What a fun hobby! Practice makes perfect and I can't wait to see what all you create. :)

Natalie said...

That's your first attempt?! You did awesome! My mom took a cake-decorating class when she was engaged to my dad, made him a 3-D teddy bear cake...and he stored it on a shelf because it was too "cute" to eat. I think it collected dust for nearly a year, so in my opinion, "Let them eat cake!"

Myra @ My Blessed Life said...

Aww, your first cake looks so so good! You totally cracked me up about using the microwave stand! Very ingenious!! :)

I hope you have a nice weekend!

~Myra

Taylor said...

That's so neat and what a fun hobby!!! I think you're first cake looks great!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Job! To you on your first cake...I'm just passing through...SO I just have one ?...Why would you put pictures up here of you and your family??? Seeing how in one of them your holding your daughter and your hubbs is in uniform....Perhaps my guess would be you live in a smaller town or suburb!

Because of Love said...

Dear "Anonymous"
I usually don't approve and publish anonymous comments, but...

Yes, I do post pictures of my family. Yes, I do talk about my husband being a police officer. Yes, I do use our names (Stephanie, Josh, and Alyse) and I do talk about where we go to church and a lot about our life.

No, my husband does not work for a small town police department. He works for the Charlotte Meck. Police Department which is fairly large. (Over 2,000 officers) He is actually on a specialized team and not a patrol officer. He works in a pretty rough area of town.

We do not live in the area he works. His office is a number of miles away from our house.

Josh and I have many times had the discussion of what is too much information to put out there for the whole world to read. There are a number of things that he has asked me not to talk about.(Specific cases, names of fellow officers, informants, suspects, etc.) I also do not share our last name.

However, I started this blog as somewhat of a "scrapbook". Therefore I do talk about him being a police officer because that is a huge part of our lives. I also include pictures for the same reason - what is a scrapbook without pictures?!

When I started this blog mainly it was just friends and family who were reading it. Now I have had a number of new people stop by, comment, starting to follow, and becoming "friends". (Which I am very happy about.)

I think that people read this blog because they like hearing about our family and seeing pictures and learning about our life. So, really, I have nothing to hide.

Because of Love said...

Ooops - I was kinda off about the 2000 officers. I just read that there were over 2000 people who worked for CMPD. Here are the facts:

Quick Facts

CMPD provides police services for the City of Charlotte and unincorporated areas of Mecklenburg County

Population:
698,837 City of Charlotte
896,272 Mecklenburg County
Total square miles: 287.3
Within CMPD's jurisdiction: 809,580 people
1,627 sworn officers
465 civilian personnel
More than 400 volunteers
America's 21st largest city
America's 5th largest urban region

Honestly, from reading other people's blogs, I think it is good that he works for a bigger department. If he worked for a smaller department I think more people would be in "our business". I think we have more privacy.

And really, most of the people who know us and love us think of us more as "Steph and Josh", not "Officer and wife".

I hope I haven't gone on and on about this too much. I know reading things on the screen things can kinda come across as ugly. I don't mean to be. Just wanted to answer the questions.

dawn said...

great job on the cake!!! looks pretty and probably tastes yummy!! if you ever have a cake you can't eat, send it our way, i am sure my family could help you out with that, i sure wouldn't want it to go to waste!!!! hope to see you tomorrow!

Mindy said...

Love those shows and your cake is SUPER CUTE!!!! Love it!

Ellen said...

I think it looks wonderful! I too love to watch those shows.

Lyryn said...

Came across you blog and wanted to tell you home much I enjoyed it! You did a great job… I have a friend that does cakes…and she always tries to teach me, but I can never decorate them at all! I just love finding new bloggie friends… I look forward to reading more from you! ;)

Jill Pagels said...

I'm jealous!!!! I have been decorating cakes for both boys' birthdays every year and have always wanted to take a class but they don't offer any nearby. Your cake is so pretty, great first attempt, you'd never know it was your first time! I'm busy contemplating Nathan's Star Wars cake for this weekend...not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I'm not really good at it, but they're kids and like it no matter what.