Friday, July 31, 2009

Laughter Can Be The Best Medicine

Over the last week there have definitely been some not so great moments, however I do have to say that there have also been some pretty funny moments.... Well, maybe it was just the drugs I was on, but let me tell you a few of them.

Trying to be optimistic, I decided that maybe we should look on the brighter side of things. I started the list by saying that I would get to wear my cute pink dress sooner than I thought I would. (Probably to my friend Lori's wedding!) Josh added a few things (like me not having to think about finding a "sub" for my responsibilities at church and hopefully us being able to be at the point we can move to a new house when a new baby does come. He is so practical.) Then my sister added a few to the list. (I could "go out" with her. Um....) Then I said, "Well, Josh do you want to go to Carowinds for your birthday? I can ride roller coasters now." He got this huge smile on his face. I was joking, but I am wondering if riding Top Gun (or I see it is now called "After Burn") will be in my near future....

At one point I was in a lot of pain at the hospital. I said something about I didn't remember being in labor (I was very sick when I was in labor with Alyse and don't remember most of it.) I asked Josh if it was this bad. He said that it was. Then the nurse said she would go ask the doctor to get me something as fast as possible. I told her to asked if I could have an epidural now since it seemed to work before. She just laughed and left the room. (I never did get the epidural...) Josh and my sister started talking about when I was in labor with Alyse. Josh voted that he liked it much better then. I said, "because we got Alyse?" And he said, "Well, yes, of course, but it was also really fun to watch your contractions on that screen. Now there is nothing to do but sit here." Sorry it was so boring this time!

After another ultrasound Josh was holding my hand and was trying to encourage me and say sweet things to me because I was a little scared about everything that was happening. He kissed me and said, "You look really pretty." I said, "yeah, well hospital gowns are so sexy." He just laughed and he said, "well you look much better tonight than you did the last time you were in the hospital." Um..thanks. Not having cuts and bruises all over my face is a step up I guess.

I've told you before that I was bleeding a lot at the hospital. Well, I was having to use some "feminine hygiene products". I needed some more so Josh said that he would get some from the nurse for me. When she walked in I heard Josh said, "Could you please get us some more diapers? She needs to change hers." I just had to laugh (even though it hurt like crazy) Can you tell he is a daddy of a toddler? Ha!

At another point I told my sister that I wanted to change into a new hospital gown. She started looking through the drawers to find me one. She found one while Josh was trying to help me get out of the one that I had on. Danielle started to help me put on the new one but there was a knot that she couldn't get undone. I couldn't really slip it on because I had an IV in my arm, so Danielle and Josh were trying to untie the knot and get the gown on me. They had me so wrapped up in that stupid gown. Finally I said, "um... isn't there another one in the drawer I could put on?" They thought it was so funny and refused to get another one. So I just laid there as they laughed.

One of the pain medicines that I was prescribed was 0xycodone. I ended up not taking most of the bottle because they make me very sick. I asked Josh what I should do with the rest of the bottle. We decided that maybe he should take them out and give them to one of his "informants" and see if we could make enough money to pay off the hospital bills. KIDDING!!!! (I may get in trouble for even saying that!)

One of the things that I am still having issues with is headaches and back pain. (You think that all the pain meds would take care of them, but no!) So I decided to take a nice warm bubble bath. I poured in some bubbles, started to run the nice hot water, and went to go get my book to read. I was turning off the water and getting ready to get in when Alyse walked into my bathroom. She looked at me and said, "Yay! Bath!" and took off her clothes and diaper before I could stop her. She climbed her little naked self in the bath and said, "Thank you, Mommy!" So much for my nice soak in the bathtub.

Speaking of Alyse, I have loved loving on her the last few days. She has seemed to know that something hasn't been quite right. She has laid in bed with me and watched movies and just snuggled up. At one point she reached over and was brushing my hair and face with her hand and then kissed me and said, "Love you, Mommy." It melted my heart! She also gave me a little makeover yesterday and then preformed a little concert (think "Jesus Loves Me", "The ABC song", and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider") complete with little dance moves and a microphone. She has been very sweet...and entertaining!

Today I am going to see the doctor again. She is going to check everything out and I am assuming that things will be back to normal again. Which I am very happy about. I have plans to spend a great weekend with my handsome husband celebrating our anniversary! (We had planned to go to Charleston on Monday, but that got cancelled. I also was wanting to go to She Speaks and Deeper Still, but I guess I don't get to do everything. *Sigh*)

Hope y'all have a great weekend too!

6 comments:

Joanie Richards said...

That diaper comment made me laugh. I'm so glad you have found spots of humor through all this. We love you guys.

lov said...

i love how god shows him self in funny ways when we are most down. out laughter must be music to his ears!

Heather said...

This is so funny...I am glad God has given you funny memories in light of all the sadness. Still praying for you!

midRae said...

It sounds like you are finding your way through a really hard time. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have been where you are twice and you will always remember and wonder. My heart is with you.

Mindy said...

I laughed out loud at the diaper thing! HILARIOUS!!!!
Still praying for you but I'm so glad that you have had some laughter in the midst of the pain - physical and emotional.

Too bad you aren't at the Deeper Still event. That is where I am and I would LOVE to meet you. However, you'd probably be stuck in traffic because that is where my friends from the Charlotte area are -- stuck in traffic!!!!
Hope your anniversary is WONDERFUL!!!
in HIM-
Mindy

Natalie said...

Thanks for sharing the "silver lining" with us! I agree with others about the diaper bit being one of the funniest things I've read, and it melted my heart too when you shared how tender Alyse has been. My 3 year old son is always very observant and when I'm under the weather he's VERY wonderful about giving me loves. Reminds me all over again why I decided to be a stay-at-home mom!