Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Police Books

Hm... what to blog about today.

Let's talk about books again, because that is always fun.
I have two police books that I wanted to share with all you other police wives (and others who would be interested too.)

First - A Book for kids

Alyse has a police children's book that Josh's mom got for her.
It's call Police Patrol.

She has decided that she really likes it lately.
She will bring it to me and say "Cops".

It is a pretty good book.
There is a bunch of information about different kinds of police officers and police work, how to be safe, how and when to call 911, etc...

However, I have to tell you that it cracks me up when I read to my 2 year old about "Correctional institutions", "miranda warnings", "DNA", "bomb devices", "hostage negotiations", "mo" aka modus operandi (or a criminals methods for those of us who don't know that...), and other police stuff.

Alyse just sits there and listens to me read about different types of fingerprints and investigations and looks at the pictures. (Her favorite is the part where they point out all the equipment on a uniform.)

Which leads me to another thing... there is a section on undercover police and all but one of them are dressed up as old ladies. There are also a lot of clowns that are being arrested.
Very interesting....

But it really is a great book.
So, if you are looking for a good police book for your kids, I would say to check this one out.

(FYI- from a teachery point of view, I would say that it is probably for kids in 1st or 2nd grade.)


Next - "A Guide For Officers and Their Families"

A few months ago, Josh brought me this book called "Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement". He handed it to me and told me that he had read it for a course that he just took and thought that I might like to read it.

I opened it up and the first thing I read was something about how officers can easily be married to their job leaving marriages to be strained, children alienated, and the officer "can become emotionally distant, hardened, or physically absent" (pg 4)

I looked at Josh and said, "Um... thanks. This sounds like a great book!" (the sarcasm was very thick.) He told me, that he thought that I should read it, even if it wasn't going to become one of my favorite books.

It is only 142 pages so I thought that I could fly through it in a weekend... um no!
It is very "text booky". So, it was kind of a difficult book to read.
4 months later, I finished it!

Josh was right, I didn't love it, but it really did open my eyes to a number of things. It also was very informative. Lots of info about hypervigilance. (For a good definition of that word, and summery of the book - click that link!)

As a police wife, I think that it was a good (but not so easy) read, but worth it.

(Warning - I, personally, was not prepared for all the swearing... but maybe that is just my little sheltered world that I live in.)

Ok, friends, happy reading!


3 comments:

Alicia W. said...

I'll have to pass this along to my friends that are police wives. Thanks!

Meadowlark said...

To join in, I have a copy of "I Love a Cop: What police families need to know" that I'll giveaway if you'd like. I haven't read the one you mentioned, but I'm thinking it's too late now ;)

Let me know if you want to trade books or give my copy away... I'll mail it.

Peace.

Natalie said...

That was a really helpful article! It's all too easy to fall into the role of just letting your LEO hubby become a follower because he's so caught up in his LEO world (I'm speaking more for myself than anything else).

I've read I Love a Cop (recommended by a local LEO wife) and found it helpful to a degree, but I think I got more out of the article you linked than the whole book! I'll have to look into reading it (thanks for the forewarning that it's textbooky). One book that's really helped me as a wife has been The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlesinger. I just adapt a few things to life in the LEO realm, but it's been SO helpful!

Thanks again.