Saturday, April 11, 2009

Resurrection Eggs

As part of our Good Friday celebration, Alyse and I had a little devotional/play time with our Resurrection Eggs. For those of you not familiar with them, they are 12 plastic eggs filled with items that are symbolic for parts of the Easter story.

She was so excited to go through each egg.



She opened each one and then listened as I read her the verse and part of the story that went with each object.


When she finally opened the last one and I told her it was empty because Jesus rose again and the grave was empty she said, "Empty."

I'm not sure if she fully grasped the whole thing, but at least she enjoyed herself and was reminded of the real reason we celebrate Easter.

If you would like to make your own Resurrection Eggs it is very easy. I did it a few times with my kids when I was teaching. (I taught at a Christian school.) I had my students bring in 12 plastic eggs and then we drew pictures of each item with the Bible verse on the back.

Here are the 12 items:

1. Donkey - Matthew 21:1b-3, 6-8 (Palm Sunday)

2. Silver coins - Matthew 26:14-16 (Judas betrayed Jesus)

3. Cup - Matthew 26:27-28 (The Last Supper)

4. Praying hands - Mark 14:32-34 (Jesus praying in the garden)

5. Leather whip - John 19:1 (Pilate had Jesus flogged)

6. Crown of thorns - Matthew 27:27-29 (Soldiers mocked him)

7. Nails in the shape of a cross - John 19:16b-18 (Jesus was nailed to the cross)

8. Dice - John 19:23-24 (Soldiers continued to mock Jesus)

9. Spear - John 19:32-34 (Soldiers stabbed Jesus in his side to make sure he was dead)

10. Linen cloth - Matthew 27:57-60 (Jesus was prepared for burial)

11. Stone - Matthew 28:2-4 (The stone at the grave was rolled away)

12. Empty - Matthew 28:5-6 (The grave was empty because Jesus rose again!)

2 comments:

mrs. fuzz said...

You do such cute things! Thanks for the idea.

Becca said...

I have never heard of these before! Super cute idea!