Monday, April 6, 2009

Night, Night (I WISH!)

Once upon a time I use to have a daughter that slept like an angel.

Naptime, I would give her a kiss, put some music on, tell her that I loved her, and then I would have 2 peaceful hours before I heard a peep out of her.

Right now it is naptime. An hour after she was first put in her bed, she is still not asleep. In that hour I have put her back in her bed 5 times. I have also found her hiding under the dining room table and sitting out in the hallway beside my bedroom door. Right now, she is hiding in the curtains.

Ahhhh!

When it comes time to put her to bed at night, again, I use to be able to rock her for a song or two, kiss her, pray with her, lay her in her bed, and 12 hours later she would wake up.

The last week or two, this has not been the case. A few days ago I called Josh at 11:45pm and said, "Please come home and put her to bed! She will not go to sleep!"

I have tried everything!

I've read to her, let her watch a movie, rocked her, sat on the floor in her room, let her cry, closed the door and left her in there, put her back in bed over and over as she suddenly appears in my room, let her skip her nap hoping she would go to bed easier, tried to wear her out by playing outside, got her a night light, etc......

I have run out of ideas!!!!!

I know that she is tired. She does start to get grumpy/whinny. She rubs her little red eyes and yawns. However, she fights it like a champ.

I need to do something because this no sleep thing is not good for her (or for me!).

So, please all my mommy friends out there. If you have any ideas, suggestions, words of encouragement, please leave me a comment!


5 comments:

dawn said...

this to shall pass!!! honestly, in my experience with all of my kiddos, we have experienced phases like this. they fortunately come and go. i believe it has to do with a growth spurt. that is my encouragement - it will not last. once a good sleeper always a good sleeper!! i guess for now you will just have to roll with it. it shouldn't last too long. hopefully in the next day or to she will be back to normal. i would continue to be consistent with her bedtime and naptime. i think she is too young to give up her naps. sometimes kids will do that when it is time to give up a nap, but i don't think that is the case here. encourage quiet time if she doesn't nap!! hang in there my friend!!!

Colleen Gebhardt said...

Stick to her bed time ritual. No matter what. Let her know 15 minutes prior to her bed time that she has a little while longer before it's time for bed. And lastly, whether it sounds mean or not, gate her bedroom door. Or if she is potty training, gate her area to where she can get to the potty and her room only. (if you can). This is all because you took her out of the crib. It will pass. Dawn is right.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

As soon as I read your plea for ideas, my first thought was to tell you that this, too will pass. See how great minds think alike? :)

Everything is a stage. Some are more fun than others. I say stick to your basic routine, let her cry, don't give in. :) And PRAY!

Because of Love said...

Thank you ladies!
Last night was a little better.
Josh kept her up ALL day, which I wasn't so sure about. But he took her to the park, took her to the store, and wore her out. (She was so sleepy by the end of the day.) I started to try to put her down about 8:30. Before 9pm she was OUT. It was actually pretty easy (I was a little nervous because we had people over to watch the game.)

It is almost nap time today. Praying that I can get her back on her schedule and it will go well today.

Again, thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

Dori said...

I concur--stick to the bedtime routine No. Matter. What. However, I am not at all in favor of letting our children cry and cry. Comfort her, but make sure she stays in the bed. That being said--I am so not looking forward to transitioning the baby from crib to bed. There's an amazing amount of Independence and Strong Will packed into that tiny little body! Her brother took to it like a champ. Just can't see it being that easy second time around...