Friday, March 13, 2009

OFFICER Josh

One of the biggest lessons I have learned about being a police wife is that when Josh puts on a uniform, he is no longer MY Josh. He turns into OFFICER Josh.

OFFICER Josh has a different attitude. He is much more serious. He stands a little different. He also has a deeper voice.

I, of course, have seen parts of Officer Josh. We have been together when he has answered questions, given directions, given advice, helped out people, etc. However, I have never been with him on a call before.

There has only been one night when I feel like I really saw Officer Josh in action.....

July 4, 2005
Josh was working his normal 2pm-10pm day.
We had made plans that I would go Uptown with some people to watch the fireworks, and then we would meet up afterwards for desserts/drinks.
The fireworks ended a little after 10pm.
I called Josh to tell him we were on our way to a place Uptown.
When he answered the phone I could tell he was tense.
Instead of a nice, "Hello" he yelled out, "Where are you?!"
I told him where we were and asked if he was already there.
He said, "No, I can't leave. Don't come this way. Go home!"
"Why? Is there something wrong?", I asked.
Then he yelled, "STEPHANIE! I SAID GO HOME! NOW!" and he hung up.
I turned to the people I was with and told them that he said not to go up there and to just go home.

When I got home. I turned on the TV right as the 11pm news was coming on.
They were telling about how the crowd Uptown had got out of hand.
There were lots of fights, fireworks being thrown at people and under cars, many people were hurt.....
Then they went to a live shot of the police who were trying to do crowd control and get help to the people who were hurt. There were people everywhere!

I remember standing in the middle of my living room in front of the television when all of a sudden I realize that it is Josh that I am watching. He is yelling at this guy to back up. The guy keeps walking towards him. Josh again starts yelling something at him. The next thing I know Josh tackles the guy and puts him in handcuffs. Another officer grabs the guy on the ground and Josh starts wrestling with someone else.

I know that my eyes were huge! I was shaking while I stood there watching him.
All I kept thinking was, "That's Josh!"

The station kept the live shot for a few minutes and then went back to the news room. I walked over to the couch and just sat there wondering what had happened. I knew he was busy so I couldn't call him. So I just sat there.

A little while later, he called and said that he was on his way home.
I told him I had watched him on the news.
He had no clue there were cameras watching him.

When he got home I had all these questions for him. He just shrugged and told me "It was a little crazy, but it wasn't that bad." I asked him if he was scared. He replied, "No, why would I be scared?" Then he informed me that he did that a lot. It wasn't the first time he fought with someone and he was sure it wouldn't be the last time either. "Oh....ok" was all I could think to say.

After that night I decided that I am not even going to try to understand OFFICER Josh's world. I am just going to let him do his job.

Note-He eventually got to see himself on camera and saw what I saw because the news played it over and over. Once he saw it he said, "Oh, that wasn't even the worst part. Things had calmed down my then." Again, all I could say was "Oh....ok".


6 comments:

Becca said...

Oh gosh! That sounds like it was absolutely terrifying! I cannot believe you were actually able to watch it all on television. I am really glad that he was okay. I bet it is really tough to be a police officer's wife when it comes to these types of situations! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Yeah that was a fun night! Josh really does ban us from lots of places. But I'm glad he is there to protect!

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Police wives deserves medals too if you ask me! That is stressful to watch them leave every day/night and not know what the day has the store for him. Sounds like an interesting night that is for sure!

Faith said...

Wow, that is crazy! I'm so glad he was able to protect you guys and so many more from that madness. That must have been wild to see him on tv!!

mrs. fuzz said...

Wow. Kind of weird to see a side of him that you haven't seen. But, it's great that he's that way when he needs to be and not that way at home. Sounds like he is a good cop and a good husband/father. I've been talking to my husband a lot about this sort of thing lately. Mostly, i don't want him to lose his sensitivity at home. things like that. They don't have to completely change, right?

Jill Pagels said...

How strange to see him on t.v. in action. I'm glad he was okay! But then again, we know who's watching out for him all the time!